Derrick Brown named to Outland Trophy watch list for top interior lineman

Tigers junior defensive tackle Derrick Brown has earned a spot on the Outland Trophy preseason watch list, announced Tuesday morning.

The trophy recognizes the top 82 interior lineman in college football, on either offense or defense. Of the field of 82, Brown is one of only 20 defensive tackles. The list is rounded out by 22 offensive tackles, 20 offensive guards and 20 centers.

Brown racked up 56 tackles last season, including 3.5 sacks and nine tackles for loss. He is regarded as a key piece in Rodney Garner's unit that is considered one of the best in the nation for next season.

READ NEXT: Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson named to Bronko Nagurski Trophy watch list

The Sugar Hill, Georgia, native will look to become the trophy's first winner from The Plains since DT Tracy Rocker in 1988. Seven semifinalists will be announced Nov. 14 and a trio of finalists will be narrowed down Nov. 19. Former NFL offensive lineman and 2006 Outland Trophy winner Joe Thomas, in partnership with the trophy's sponsor, the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases, will present the winner with the trophy Dec. 6. 

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Derrick Brown named to Outland Trophy watch list for top interior lineman” on social media.