Auburn Band Parents Association Hosts 19th Annual Band-O-Rama

“They get to perform for a crowd that understands all the hard work,” said Angie Holt, president of the ABPA. “They get to perform for an audience that’s there for just them, it’s not the football crowd.”

<p>Local high school bands perform during Band-O-Rama on Thursday, Aug. 23, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Local high school bands perform during Band-O-Rama on Thursday, Aug. 23, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

Instruments shined bright under the stadium lights of Duck Samford Park as high school and college band members showcased their new halftime shows at the Auburn-Band Parents-Association, ABPA, 19th annual Band-O-Rama Thursday night. 

In their largest showing to date, marching bands from nine high schools in Lee County and the Auburn University Marching Band marched their halftime shows for the upcoming school year.

“They get to perform for a crowd that understands all the hard work,” said Angie Holt, president of the ABPA. “They get to perform for an audience that’s there for just them, it’s not the football crowd.”

A combined effort of approximately 60 volunteers worked to stock concession stands, which serve as a fundraiser to the host high school's band.

“We stocked over 12,000 drinks for tonight, 600 Chick-fil-a, tons of CiCi Pizza, we’re trying Mike and Ed’s Barbecue this year,” Holt said. “Its just a lot of work and a lot of people putting their thoughts and efforts into it.”

Each of the bands had the chance to show off their halftime show for this football season, each with a specific theme.

A lot of hard work goes into putting the halftime shows onto the football field, said Cliff Washburn, Band Director at Eufaula High School. Eufaula's band has been working on their halftime show since July 13. 

“It’s a royal halftime show." Washburn said. "We start with “Royals” by Lorde and then we do “Respect” by the queen of soul (Aretha Franklin), we’re doing a “Hound Dog” from the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll and “Crazy in Love” by Beyonce, the queen bee. Everything is crowned and royal.”

Deanna Marshall, the Auburn High School band director, said her band worked during four day a week band camp from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. This was the band's first performance of their halftime show for the 2018 season. 

“It is a great time for us to get together and have our first run before Friday night,” Marshall said. "We can get our nerves out, get the jitters out and play for people who know what we do and appreciate what we all our hard work.”

Corey Spurlin, the Auburn University Band Director, said this event is not only great for the high school bands, to inspire the children to stick with it, but it also keeps the university band accountable as they set the example for the younger students.

“It gives us a chance to perform in front of people,” Spurlin said. "Just like the coaches of the football team we want to evaluate the players. This gives us the chance to tweak things.”                                                                                                                                                                      

Share and discuss “Auburn Band Parents Association Hosts 19th Annual Band-O-Rama” on social media.