Auburn linebacker Richard McBryde out for the season with neck injury

Last year, McBryde tallied 13 total tackles and two tackles for loss. He was expected to receive reps ahead of Auburn's multiple freshman linebackers this season

Auburn junior linebacker Richard McBryde will miss all of the 2018 season with a neck injury, Tigers head coach Gus Malzahn announced Tuesday morning.

The defender from Troy, Alabama, redshirted in 2015 before seeing action as a reserve in the last two seasons. Last year, McBryde tallied 13 total tackles and two tackles for loss. He was expected to receive reps ahead of Auburn's multiple freshman linebackers this season.

"That's tough. That's our brother, that's our teammate," senior linebacker Deshaun Davis said Tuesday. "He's still with us, he's not actually playing but he's at every meeting. Still coaching the young guys, still smiling."

In Auburn's opening depth chart, released Tuesday, Chandler Wooten, K.J. Britt and Zakoby McClain are backing up Darrell Williams, Deshaun Davis and Montavious Atkinson, respectively. During fall camp, McBryde worked behind Williams at Sam/strongside linebacker.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Auburn linebacker Richard McBryde out for the season with neck injury” on social media.