Fall camp notebook: Starting CB out, receiver limited, Horton back to guard

Dontavius Russell, left, and Marquel Harrell in drills Sunday.
Auburn football practice, shells, on Sunday, Aug. 5, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Dontavius Russell, left, and Marquel Harrell in drills Sunday. Auburn football practice, shells, on Sunday, Aug. 5, 2018 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

For the first time this fall, Auburn football hit the practice fields in its (near) gameday attire.

After sporting shells and shorts for the past few practices, the Tigers donned full pads Tuesday afternoon at their fifth day of camp. Gus Malzahn's squad will take an off day Wednesday before holding a scrimmage Thursday, at which Malzahn hopes to name many of his starters. Simply put, Tuesday's practice was crunch time.

Here's what The Plainsman observed:

OFFENSE:

- Sophomore receiver Marquis McClain was limited in his work with the position group. The 6-foot-2 Floridian was in an orange non-contact jersey.

- Devan Barrett continued to work at receiver alongside 6-foot-4 freshman Harold Joiner, who is listed as a running back on the official roster. Joiner's new number is 29.

- Top quarterbacks Jarrett Stidham and Malik Willis handed to Kam Martin, Chandler Cox, Malik Miller and Asa Martin in read drills. Backup QBs Joey Gatewood, Cord Sandberg and Devin Adams worked with JaTarvious Whitlow, C.J. Tolbert and Shaun Shivers, respectively. 

- Junior H-back Spencer Nigh flared out in routes for Stidham in a quick first-team offense versus defense drill. Nigh could take on a bigger role this season if Cox spends more time at running back. 

- Mike Horton moved back over to right guard after taking reps at center recently. J.B. Grimes' starting offensive line remained: Austin Troxell at right tackle, Horton at right guard, Kaleb Kim at center, Marquel Harrell at left guard and Prince Tega Wanogho at left tackle. Reserve tackle Jack Driscoll has changed numbers from 58 to 71. 

DEFENSE:

- Starting cornerback Noah Igbinoghene was in an orange jersey with no pads or shells.

- In the first-team offense and defense drills, 6-foot-3 redshirt freshman linebacker Tanner Dean was free-rushing Stidham in an outside linebacker role.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

- Redshirt freshman kicker Anders Carlson made all seven of his field goal attempts with a long of 45 yards. Punter Ian Shannon held for all those kicks, then made a pair of his own from 40-plus.

Coordinators Kevin Steele and Chip Lindsey will speak with the media tonight at 5:45 p.m. CST.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Fall camp notebook: Starting CB out, receiver limited, Horton back to guard” on social media.