Guard Calvin Ashley hospitalized for 'precautionary reasons' after injury in scrimmage

Calvin Ashley pushes off a sled during drills Friday.
Auburn football first practice on Friday, Aug. 3, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Calvin Ashley pushes off a sled during drills Friday. Auburn football first practice on Friday, Aug. 3, 2018 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn offensive guard Calvin Ashley has been hospitalized after suffering a head/neck injury at the team's first fall scrimmage, head coach Gus Malzahn announced Thursday.

Malzahn said the hospitalization was simply for "precautionary purposes" and he expects an update on Ashley's status later today.

"I don't have an update right now," Malzahn said. "Hopefully he'll be okay."

A former five-star tackle, Ashley had been moved to right guard in fall camp. Malzahn said the team's scrimmage in Jordan-Hare Stadium was 100 plays and was completely live.

"Any time anybody gets hurt, you don't want to see that as a teammate and as a brother," quarterback Jarrett Stidham said. "It's part of the game ... obviously, we hate for anybody to get hurt."

UPDATE: Auburn sports information director Kirk Sampson said Ashley's tests were negative and he has since been discharged from the hospital.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Guard Calvin Ashley hospitalized for 'precautionary reasons' after injury in scrimmage” on social media.