how to dominate your next career fair

A career fair could be one of the most important events in your life that you can attend. It is a place to network with people and businesses that work in the same field as you and there is the potential to meet future employers.

That being said it can be a daunting task if you have never been to a career fair before or don’t have experience with similar events. And with everything going on around you it can be easy to be overwhelmed. So here are some tips to stay organized and prepared for the fair.

First up you should be familiar with your objectives at the fair. Are you just looking to network or are you really trying for a specific job? It also pays to look at the event directory so you know exactly who will be there.

Next, you need the right attitude for the fair. You should show confidence, dressing the part helps a lot, don’t be afraid to talk to people. A strong handshake when introducing yourself goes a long way.

Once introduced you should have a resume on hand if you are looking for employment. You should also have multiple resumes that you can hand out.

A notepad or binder will also serve to look professional as well as allow you to write down important names, phone numbers and emails. If business cards are available be sure to ask for one.

Always be respectful when conversing with the different representatives and businesses as first impressions are very important and can be a deciding factor of whether you get hired.

Make sure you take your time with the fair too; don’t be rushing from table to table. If you are short on time then make sure to prioritize who you want to talk to first. That ties back to using a directory before the event.

Pay attention to the people around you as well. There are many people there with the same goals as you so be mindful of other people and remember you are all in the same boat.

And stay relaxed, stressing out about little things certainly won’t help you, so be calm and confident when talking to people. How you perform under stress is also something that employers are looking at when you interact with them.

Remember when you are at a career fair you are trying to make sure you look polished and professional. Dress sharp, keep relaxed and coordinated when navigating through the different booths, show genuine interest when talking to people and always be respectful.

If you can manage all that you are sure to rock your next career fair.

Share and discuss “how to dominate your next career fair” on social media.