Malzahn confident in advance of No. 6 Washington

Adding on newcomers Anthony Schwartz, Seth Williams and others complements Malzahn’s vision for success in 2018

<p>Auburn coach Gus Malzahn talks to his team after practice Saturday.
Auburn football practice on Saturday, Aug. 18, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics 

</p>

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn talks to his team after practice Saturday. Auburn football practice on Saturday, Aug. 18, 2018 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Gus Malzahn is comfortable knowing Jarrett Stidham is his quarterback.

In addition to discussing his confidence with his quarterback Thursday evening, the head coach added that a complete depth chart will be available Tuesday.

Having Auburn’s first returning 3,000-yard passer supplies confidence before the team’s meeting with sixth-ranked Washington, Malzahn said.

“When you’ve got a quarterback, and we’ve got a guy that we think is a special quarterback, that gives you a chance,” Malzahn said. “I feel good knowing our quarterback is who he is.”

Stidham completed a conference-high 66.5 percent of his passes for 18 touchdowns and six interceptions in 2017. Adding on newcomers Anthony Schwartz, Seth Williams and others complements Malzahn’s vision for success in 2018.

With what “could be” Malzahn’s best recruiting class as Auburn’s head coach, having the ability to play freshman allows for experience to come early.

“You can tell they’re talented,” Malzahn said. “You’re going to see quite a few of those young guys on the field the first game.”

Malzahn added that some of those young guys will be able to touch the ball, too, and that this recruiting class is “one of the best as far as talent up to this point.”

Though Malzahn is confident with his recruits and quarterback, the head coach also isn’t concerned that none of his players made the preseason first team All-SEC,

“That don’t mean anything until you play,” Malzahn said.

Friday’s practice will involve a walkthrough of gameday routine before continuing to practice inside Jordan-Hare Stadium. Malzahn said one of his focuses was to minimize any struggle with the offensive line.

Center Nick Brahms and defensive tackle Daquan Newkirk, both whom suffered injuries in the spring, have been cleared for full-contact practices, Malzahn added.

Eight days from a third-straight game at the Mercedez-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Malzahn said he has been impressed with watching Washington film.

“They’re talented,” Malzahn said. “They’re experienced. If they ever give up anything they make an adjustment immediately.”

Malzahn said he will be expecting something different from Washington head coach Chris Peterson, who is “like the guru of trick plays.”

“You can tell they play with confidence,” Malzahn said. “They’re fun to watch on film.”

The head coach didn’t count out any trick plays of he and offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey’s design against Washington.

“I know Chip, and Chip’s an aggressive guy and I like that,” Malzahn said.

Share and discuss “Malzahn confident in advance of No. 6 Washington” on social media.