Meet the Ward 1 City Council candidates

With only three incumbents running for re-election and Auburn’s 20-year mayor choosing to not run again, there will be new leadership in Auburn

<p>Auburn's municipal elections are set for Tuesday, Aug. 28.</p>

Auburn's municipal elections are set for Tuesday, Aug. 28.

The Auburn Municipal Election is Tuesday, Aug. 28. 

All eight City Council positions and the mayorship are up for election.

With only three incumbents running for re-election and Auburn’s 20-year mayor choosing to not run again, there will be new leadership in Auburn.

Meet the City Council candidates for Ward 1.

Candidates are sorted by the first letter of their last name. Incumbents are denoted with an (I) beside their name.

Answers were not edited for length or content.

Connie Fitch Taylor

1. Why did you decide to run for City Council?

Being a life-long citizen of Auburn and seeing high rising Student Housing increasing in small neighborhoods such as the one I live in, has given me the incentive to run and fight for the life of our historical communities. Auburn is experiencing rapid economic growth and as the city increases, Ward 1’s population decreases. Because I have worked with councilmember, county commissioner and state representatives, it has given me a better understanding of City Government and a better understanding of how the politics of the city flow. We, as citizens of Auburn, need voices on the City Council that is not afraid to speak out and defend our neighborhoods and small businesses.

2. What experience do you have that you think would help you if you are elected to the City Council?

My 25 plus years of experience from Auburn University and Tuskegee University in Facilities Management, Capital Projects, Building Services and Construction Management has given me an insight on how to make Auburn a better place for all citizen to live and to safeguard small town and small business historic values. I understand the importance of having strong leadership that knows how to work together for the entire city.

3. What is the most important issue facing your ward that you would like to address if you are elected?

There are many issues facing Ward 1 that I would like to address if I am elected, in which, all are most important, they are as follow:

(1)To bring affordable housing in Ward 1 and throughout the City of Auburn (2)To build up our reserves and save our historical communities for our future generation (3) To work on the infrastructure issues in Ward 1 (4) To implement crime prevention programs for young parents, teens and children (5) To implement more community services to accommodate senior citizens (6) To work closely with the Board of Education to assure that all students have all the necessary resource to enhance their education (7) To bring more African-American owned businesses back into our communities.

And many other issues, but those are the most important issues for the question asked.

Verlinda White (I)

After Councilman Byrd informed me that he would not seek reelection, I decided that I would like to continue working to keep bringing positive changes to Auburn and specifically to Ward 1.

I previously served on the Council and also serve on various committees and group efforts locally and on the state level. My employment and church association has also allowed me to develop good people skills.

I would like to restore a sense of belonging to motivate positive growth in the area of education, health/wellness, economic development, safety and housing.

Elizabeth Hurley | Community Editor

Elizabeth, senior in journalism and political science, is the community editor for The Plainsman

@lizhurley37

community@theplainsman.com

Share and discuss “Meet the Ward 1 City Council candidates” on social media.