The evolution of game day fashion at Auburn

<p>Women celebrate Auburn gameday in 1980.</p>

Women celebrate Auburn gameday in 1980.

Auburn boasts a wide range of game day traditions, from the eagle flight to the Tiger Walk. One less official but equally popular game day tradition has made quite the comeback in recent years.

Although students have been dressing up for football games for decades, gameday fashion at Auburn has become an event in and of itself.

If you take a walk up and down North College Street on an Auburn game day, you’ll witness a fashion show of sorts — one that undoubtedly speaks to the creative spirit of Auburn students and their affinity for self-expression through fashion. 

Chloe Popwell, visual merchandiser at Auburn boutique Behind the Glass, recalls popular gameday outfits when she was an Auburn student. 

“When I was in high school and college, solid color things were more of a statement," Popwell said. "People wore solid color orange dresses and navy dresses. … It was not outside of the box.”

Since the days of color blocking and dresses made from jersey fabric, there has been a paradigm shift in gameday dressing. 

Although many girls continue to be inspired by  trends, interpretation is more liberal, and individuality seems to be more En Vogue these days.

Among recent fads like matching sets, platform shoes, flare jeans and corduroy jumpers, many harken back to decades past. Popwell’s ideal gameday look — a crop top, flares and a little handkerchief — is undeniably retro.   

“I’m just really excited because I feel like gameday people are expressing their style more than ever and just being edgy and different and not so cookie-cutter,” Popwell said. “The girls look cool and it represents Auburn really well. It’s a cool town so I’m glad that people are really branching out.”

Share and discuss “The evolution of game day fashion at Auburn” on social media.