Auburn's Women in Aviation encourages girls to soar to new heights

Girls in Aviation Day to be held on Saturday, Oct. 6

<p>Mac Cook, Shannon Kay, Megan Brown and Caitlyn Miller pose by the Chicken Salad Chick plane.</p>

Mac Cook, Shannon Kay, Megan Brown and Caitlyn Miller pose by the Chicken Salad Chick plane.

With over 500 expected attendees, the Women in Aviation War Eagle Chapter is ramping up for one of the biggest events of the year: Girls in Aviation Day. 

It will be held on Saturday, Oct. 6, at the Auburn University Regional Airport from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. 

The event caters to girls in kindergarten through grade 12, but Megan Brown, president of Auburn’s chapter and senior in aviation management, said all people in the community are welcome. 

Girls in Aviation Day is an international celebration serving to “inspire the next generation of girls to join the aviation industry,” Megan Brown said. 

There will be activity booths for each age group, and kids will have the opportunity to go on scavenger hunts, make paper airplanes, learn about airplane instruments and have the opportunity to sit in a cockpit. 

“Everybody loves jumping in the planes and pretending they’re a pilot for a second,” said Caitlyn Miller, senior in professional flight management.

Food from Chicken Salad Chick will be available.

“We are very excited to be a part of this, and to be a part of empowering them," said Stacy Brown, co-founder of Chicken Salad Chick. “I think this is the way to ignite the growth of the women in aviation.” 

As an alumna, Stacy Brown is proud that Auburn is facilitating this event and championing girls in flight. 

Women make up 6-7 percent of the industry, but with events like this, Megan Brown and Miller hope to see the numbers grow. 

“Here in Auburn I feel very supported, but I do want other girls in the community to also feel that support and feel that they can pursue this career as well,” Megan Brown said.

Mac Cook, junior in professional flight management, helped organize fundraising events to support this day. While there are more men than women, he said, “I want them to know that there’s a lot of opportunity out there for them.” 

Auburn students are encouraged to attend, as well, because there will be aviation companies and regional airlines to network with. 

For more volunteer and event information, go to www.waiwareagle.org. 

Share and discuss “Auburn's Women in Aviation encourages girls to soar to new heights ” on social media.