UPDATE: One dead, four injured in shooting at McDonald's

<p>Police tape surrounds a crime scene.</p>

Police tape surrounds a crime scene.

A shooting at McDonald's on West Magnolia Avenue Sunday morning killed one and injured four others.

A 20-year-old male from Tuskegee, Alabama, died in the shooting.

Four people were injured in the shooting, one of them a 21-year-old male Auburn student from Hilton Head, South Carolina, who was transported to East Alabama Medical Center by ambulance with non-life-threatening injuries. . Another 17-year-old male from Opelika, Alabama, and a 19-year-old female from Opelika, Alabama, were also injured and transported to EAMC with non-life-threatening injuries.

A 16-year-old from male from Opelika, Alabama, was airlifted to Piedmont Columbus Regional Medical Center by air ambulance with serious injures.

The University sent an AU Alert to all students at about 3 a.m. Police say they received a call reporting shots fired at the restaurant at about 2:24 a.m. Police officers were already in the area dispersing a large crowd and immediately responded by the time of the first call.

Police say a preliminary investigation suggests an altercation occurred just prior to an exchange of gunfire that resulted in the injuries.

It's not believed to be a random shooting, and the University has said there is not believed to be a threat to campus.

No additional information is available at this time, and police say the event remains under investigation. No suspect has been arrested.

The Plainsman is following this story. Anyone with information related to this case is urged to contact the Auburn Police Division at 334-501-3140 or at the top line at 334-246-1391.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “UPDATE: One dead, four injured in shooting at McDonald's” on social media.