Auburn sophomore K.J. Britt learning from Deshaun Davis, senior linebackers

<p>K.J. Britt (33) returns a blocked punt during Auburn football vs. Arkansas on Sept. 22, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

K.J. Britt (33) returns a blocked punt during Auburn football vs. Arkansas on Sept. 22, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

For K.J. Britt, a young linebacker trying to become a leader for one of the top defenses in the nation, there may not be a better group of advisers than Auburn’s trio of senior linebackers.

Britt, a sophomore backer out of Oxford, Alabama, studies under seniors Deshaun Davis, Montavious Atkinson and Darrell Williams. After a freshman year that saw the former 4-star prospect record only four tackles, Britt is now becoming a key piece in Kevin Steele’s defensive rotation with seven tackles through four games.

"Extremely beneficial,” Britt said Tuesday of working under the seniors. “All of those guys are high-character guys, and I wouldn't want to learn from anybody else. Last year, coming in as a freshman, you really don't know how to learn or what to learn. Then you go through the offseason and now it's your sophomore season, you're like, 'Well, this is what I need to learn and how I need to learn it.' 

“And those three guys being seniors, they're showing us — it isn't like they're just showing us, 'Do this and do that.' They're just leading by example."

The biggest play for Britt this season didn’t come on defense, however.

After Auburn forced a three-and-out in the second quarter of its 34-3 win over Arkansas, punter Reid Bauer’s kick was partially blocked, bouncing to the Razorbacks’ 20-yard line. Both Auburn and Arkansas players watched the ball before Auburn coaches yelled at their team to pick it up. Britt rumbled down to the 2-yard line.

K.J. Britt (33) runs the ball during Auburn Football vs. Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

"Man, I tried to,” Britt said of nearly scoring on the punt. “I thought I got a run on 'em, man. But I guess I should've cut back or something."

Alongside Britt, Auburn has its starting linebackers for 2019 practically cemented — sophomore Chandler Wooten and freshman Zakoby McClain are working behind Williams and Atkinson, respectively.

And Britt trains under Davis, a three-year starter in Kevin Steele’s system and unquestioned leader of Auburn’s defense.

Britt said he didn't understand Davis’ methods of leadership at first. As a freshman, Britt would watch Davis make calls from the sideline and question them. Then Davis would blow up a run in the backfield or bat down a pass.

In addition to learning inside Jordan-Hare Stadium, Britt closely monitors Davis’ means of guidance in the film room. 

“The biggest difference for me from last year to this year is noticing the little things between the backs, guards, tackles and the centers,” Britt said. “I watch film and I ask Deshaun, ‘What do you see?’ And it's just little things that he notices. I wish I had seen it before.”

Since last season, Davis has proclaimed himself Auburn’s defensive coordinator on the field. Coaches back that up, saying Davis is to the defense what Jarrett Stidham is to Auburn’s offense. 

Unsurprisingly, Britt is striving to be branded as a similarly intelligent spearhead for Steele and the defense.

"Being a dominant quarterback on the defense,” Britt said of what he’s improving on this season. “Deshaun knows everything, so that's what sets him apart and he makes plays. Getting everyone lined up, that's one thing, and if I can get everyone lined up, then I know my job. Everyone is going to feed off the quarterback of the defense.”

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Auburn sophomore K.J. Britt learning from Deshaun Davis, senior linebackers” on social media.