Best places to take dogs for a cool, cuddly time on The Plains

With so many parks and outdoor areas in Auburn to bring dogs, a few restaurants and businesses may be a surprise.

<p>Two dogs run together during Puppy Palooza at Kiesel Park on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Two dogs run together during Puppy Palooza at Kiesel Park on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.

Kiesel Park at 520 Chadwick Lane and Town Creek Park at 1150 S. Gay St. are popular local destinations for residents to bring furry friends. 

Kiesel Park, Auburn’s largest park, has an off-leash area for well-behaved dogs as well as a 2-mile walking trail, pond and garden, according to The City of Auburn’s website. There have been many events held at the pavilion, including city events such as The Auburn CityFest and The Annual Easter Egg Hunt. The pavilion and Nunn-Winston house can be rented for weddings. With all the open green area, it is an optimal place to bring dogs.

Town Creek Park is smaller than Kiesel Park, but it has similar amenities. According to The City of Auburn’s website, Town Creek Park has a workout area with simple machines and the .87-mile walking trail goes around a pond that welcomes many different species of birds, fish and other wildlife. 

The City of Auburn’s website says Town Creek Park is home to Spring Sundown Concert Series in May which is a city event that showcases diverse music performers at a laid-back green space at the park where the whole family and all the dogs can come. 

Mama Mocha’s Coffee Roastery has grown in popularity in the recent years with their diverse array of coffees, teas and merchandise. The local favorite also allows dogs inside and outside of their shop. Located at 414 S Gay St., the coffee shop is situated close to campus. 

Baumhower’s Victory Grille at 2353 Bent Creek Road allows dogs on their patio. With being right off the interstate, Baumhower’s understands travelers and their dogs have been awaiting a cold drink. Your server may lend your dog a water bowl to cool down on the shaded patio. The big restaurant, with dozens of TV’s and fans inside and out, will be sure to make furry friends happy. 

Soon, Baumhower’s Victory Grille will start a new patio policy in which dogs, who have always been welcome, will now be treated with chicken wing shaped dog bones, along with water bowls, according to Danita Billups, director of service for Baumhower’s Victory Grille.

“It’s official, dogs eat free at Baumhower’s Victory Grille,” Billups said.

“Who let the dogs out?” said James Rowell, sous chef. “Baumhower’s did!”

Bruster’s Real Ice Cream is located on 2172 E University Dr. Bruster’s has a vibrant environment for everyone. Whether it be an ice cream date with a friend or a mom and dad treating their kids to ice cream after school, Bruster’s gives Auburn locals a place to meet with dogs. The dogs even get a fun treat.

“We give [the dogs] a baby scoop of vanilla ice cream with a dog treat on top,” said Kayla Yost, an employee at Bruster’s.

Share and discuss “Best places to take dogs for a cool, cuddly time on The Plains” on social media.