Break for fun: What to do in Auburn over fall break

From movie nights and murder mystery dinners, there’s something for students, families and locals of all ages.

<p>Fall leaves in Alabama</p>

Fall leaves in Alabama

For those staying in town during fall break and looking for something to do besides sleeping in, choose any event from this list of Auburn and Opelika activities happening over the break. From movie nights to a murder mystery dinner to haunted walking tours there’s something for students, families and locals of all ages.

Friday, October 12

- Movie in the Park – Monkey Park in Opelika will be showing “Monsters Inc.” at 6:45 p.m. Train rides will also be offered from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. This event is free and open to the public.

- Fright Nights at the Arboretum – Park-goers can get their movie fix at the Donald E. Davis Arboretum, which will be showing three movies: “Halloween is Grinch Night” short at 6:30 p.m., “Psycho” at 7 p.m. and “The Blair Witch Project” at 9:15 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. 

- Come Home to the Corner – Shop in downtown Auburn and enjoy live music featuring Alabama Avenue beginning at 6 p.m. for an early kickoff to the Auburn-Tennessee football game on Saturday. 

- Football, Fans and Feathers – Watch hawks, falcons, eagles and other birds of prey fly during the raptor show at the Southeastern Raptor Center from 4 to 5 p.m. Tickets are $5 and admission is free for children 3 and under.

- Auburn vs. University of Mississippi equestrian meet – Auburn’s No. 1 equestrian team competes with the University of Mississippi at 3 p.m. at the Auburn University Horse Center off of Wire Road. Admission is free.

- Haunted Auburn Walking Tour – Learn about Auburn’s haunted spots on Friday and Saturday at the 6 p.m. early tour or 8 p.m. latter tour, sponsored by the Alabama Spectral Investigators. Tours meet at the eagle statues across from Toomer’s Corner. Admission is free.

Saturday, October 13

- Auburn vs. Tennessee football – Auburn takes on Tennessee in the Jordan-Hare Stadium. Kickoff is at 11 a.m.

- Rabies Run 5k – Participants are encouraged to dress in Halloween costumes and bring their canine running companions in the 4th annual 5k hosted by The Auburn University Chapter of the Student American Veterinary Medical Association. The race begins at 8 a.m. in Town Creek Park. Half of the 5k proceeds go to the Lee County Humane Society, and the other half go to Pet Peace of Mind. Registration is $30, and participants also have the choice of a one-mile fun run.

- Meet the Maker: Lauren Thompson Woods – From 2 to 5 p.m., the Local Market in downtown Auburn is spotlighting Lauren Thompson’s artwork, including an abstract series of paintings that each include a play from a memorable Auburn football game.

Sunday, October 14

- “Stay as Dead as You Are” murder mystery dinner theater – Dine at Mexican restaurant La Cantina for a mystery dinner theater performed by the Opelika Theater Company at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $40 and include a three-course meal, non-alchoholic beverage, tip and tax. Doors open at 5 p.m. and there is a pre-show at 5:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “Break for fun: What to do in Auburn over fall break” on social media.