Cakeitecture coming to Opelika

The store will be situated in historic downtown Opelika opposite from Café One Twenty Three

Customers who want to walk into Cakeitecture Bakery and buy cake or cookies on the spot will soon be able to at the bakery’s new location opening in Opelika in early to mid November.

The store will be situated on 8th street in historic downtown Opelika opposite from Café One Twenty Three. In addition to cakes, cookies and cake pops, owner and Auburn grad Carie Tindill plans to eventually offer customers small breakfast items, pastries and Mama Mocha’s coffee in a sit-down café at the new location. 

Cakeitecture, who sells everything from elaborately sculpted custom cakes to Aubie cookies to their popular orange velvet cake and is the only bakery in Auburn licensed to use the university’s trademarks, currently only makes baked sweets per order at their store located off of West Magnolia Avenue. Tindill, who took her bakery business full-time in 2010, said a lot of people come into the store and want to purchase goods directly.

“We get people that are constantly frustrated that they cannot just come in and buy something,” said Tindill. Especially during football season, man, people are always upset that they cannot just come in, day of, and get stuff.”

In addition to allowing walk-in customers, Cakeitecture’s new location, which is three times the size of their current building, will give Tindill the space she needs to grow her business. Tindill said they are currently booked with orders until November.

“We are to capacity with things that we can produce right now,” said Tindill, adding that there is, “only so much that we can do before we start sacrificing quality at our current location, and we’re not interested in sacrificing quality ever.”

Tindill said they’d like to keep Cakeitecture’s presence in Auburn, though she is unsure how big that presence will be. The bakery will probably shift the majority of production to the Opelika store, she said, and may transport some baked goods for walk-in purchase to the Auburn store in the future.

“If we can do all of [the production] in Opelika, then we could turn the Auburn store into something a little more fluid,” said Tindill.

While a few of Cakeitecture’s customers have expressed concern that the new store will be farther from Auburn, Tindill said most people are excited over the Opelika location being more accessible with better parking.

“That’s one of the things that we’re most excited about, is just the ease of people being able to find us and get to us,” said Tindill.

Tindill will be working at the new location once it opens to make sure everything operates smoothly. She’ll be hiring several more people and probably a manager for the Auburn store.

Cakeitechture will hold a grand opening at the Opelika location, the details of which they will announce on their social media once the day is confirmed.

Share and discuss “Cakeitecture coming to Opelika” on social media.