Celebration of Arts and Humanities Month kicks off with 'Arts on the Hill'

Auburn High School Jazz Band performs at Celebrate The Arts held at Pebble Hill on September 30 in Auburn, Ala.

The College of Liberal Arts at Auburn University kicked off its celebration of National Arts and Humanities Month with the “Arts on the Hill” concert Sunday.

The free kick-off event took place at Pebble Hill, and featured a concert from the Auburn High School Jazz and Lab bands. 

The bands performed pieces such as Billy Joel’s “Just the Way You Are” and Rose Royce’s “Car Wash” and “Orange Colored Sky.” In addition to the band performances, the Auburn Arts Association displayed some of its art exhibits.

Deanna Marshall, Auburn High School’s Band Director, spoke about the bands’ connection with the community.

“It’s definitely nice to get out, play and see all of our hard work,” Marshall said. “We get to perform for each other, our family and the community, and that’s why we do it. We enjoy playing and we enjoy making some music together.”

Landon Knorr and Matthew Thornton, both members of the band, echoed Marshall’s comments about playing for the community.

“Going up here in front of all of these people can give me a little bit of stage fright, but there’s something so special about the moment when you’re playing that the hairs stand up on the back of your neck,” Knorr said.

“It’s really cool to know that all these people came to see you perform, and it’s just a good feeling to know that you’re doing something for the community,” Thornton said. 

The College of Liberal Arts will be hosting more performances, lectures and events throughout the month of October to celebrate Arts and Humanities Month. One of the highlighted events is the Sundilla Concert Series on Oct. 25 featuring Kate Campbell, a Nashville-based singer and songwriter.

Share and discuss “Celebration of Arts and Humanities Month kicks off with 'Arts on the Hill'” on social media.