Pumpkin patch on The Plains

<p>Uncarved pumpkins sit on the steps of Dudley Hall during 28th Annual Pumpkin Carving on Friday, Oct. 28, 2016 in Auburn, Ala.&nbsp;</p>

Uncarved pumpkins sit on the steps of Dudley Hall during 28th Annual Pumpkin Carving on Friday, Oct. 28, 2016 in Auburn, Ala. 

The fall season is in full swing. Football is back, apple pies will be baked, pumpkin spice coffee will be consumed and the Holiday Season is just around the corner. Central to the fall festivities is the pumpkin. Whether they are eaten, baked, carved or simply a decoration, pumpkins are an essential part of the fall season — and Auburn has a family-owned pumpkin patch in town.

In 2008, the Foshee family started the Farmer in the Dell Pumpkin Patch as a place for people to have fun during the fall season. Visitors pay a $2 entry fee for access to an array of different family-friendly activities. 

Marie Foshee, owner of the pumpkin patch, discussed the various activities that are offered, including cutting pumpkins off the vine, going for a hay ride and getting lost in a crop maze. The pumpkin patch provides visitors with a number of family friendly farm animals, including goats, cows and pigs. The pumpkin patch also has puppies that can either be played with or taken home. 

Rachel Clifford was out on the patch enjoying the fall weather with her family.

“The pumpkins were more beautiful than the ones we could have ever selected in the store. My husband cut me some fresh sunflowers, and the corn maze is just the right height for my toddlers to go through,” Clifford said.

The pumpkin patch offers all different sizes and shapes of pumpkins, from cinderella pumpkins to ghost pumpkins. The farm also offers locally made honey harvested on site.

“We just want people to have fun, take pictures and share us with your friends,” Foshee said. "That appears to be what many members of the Auburn community are doing." 

After delaying opening day due to rain, the pumpkin patch opened to the public on Sept. 29 and will remain open through the end of October.

In addition to being a local favorite, Farmer in the Dell Pumpkin Patch was recently listed as one of the top 25 pumpkin patches in Alabama by Vacations Made Easy

To make reservations, call (334) 750-3792 or email info@auburnpumpkinpatch.com. The Farmer in the Dell Pumpkin Patch is located off Wire Road at 5945 County Road 137. The pumpkin patch is open Monday through Saturday from 3 to 6 p.m. 

Share and discuss “Pumpkin patch on The Plains” on social media.