Auburn student dies in single-vehicle crash on Monday

Two Valley area women were killed Monday morning when their vehicle left Moores Mill Road in Auburn, struck a tree and burst into flames, authorities said Monday.

<p>Courtney Thomas, a 24-year-old student at Auburn University, died in a car crash early Monday morning.</p>

Courtney Thomas, a 24-year-old student at Auburn University, died in a car crash early Monday morning.

Tiffany Brianne Longshore, 20, of Lannet and Courtney Taylor Thomas, 24, of Valley, an Auburn poultry science student, were identified as the occupants of the vehicle by Lee County Coroner Bill Harris. Harris confirmed Thomas was an Auburn student.

The crash occurred around 3:15 a.m. on Monday in the 3300 block of Moores Mill Road, according the Auburn Police Division.

The two women were recovered from the vehicle and were pronounced dead at the scene by Harris.

"It appears that Longshore, the driver, was east on Moores Mill Road at a high rate of speed when she apparently lost control of her vehicle and left the roadway, striking a tree. The vehicle burst into flames," read a statement from Harris.

For about three hours, Moores Mill Road was closed to traffic until the scene was cleared, Harris said.

The crash remains under investigation by the Auburn Police Division and the Lee County Coroner's Office.

Share and discuss “Auburn student dies in single-vehicle crash on Monday” on social media.