Jule Collins Smith Museum names new director

The Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art has announced Cynthia B. Malinick as its new director and chief curator, aiming toward enhancing cultural influence.

Malinick will be in charge of an extensive operation, including six galleries, an auditorium, a cafe and the museum shop.

From her work as executive manager of museums and cultural organizations to her most recent role as vice president for cultural assets for Girls Scouts of America, Malinick will be drawing on over 25 years of experience to lead the museum as it prepares to open its creative arts district in conjunction with the upcoming opening of the Gogue Performing Arts Center. 

“I am thrilled to join the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art, especially at a time when cultural institutions across the nation are increasing their relevance and responding to a fast-changing world that yearns for places of reflection, honesty and inspiration,” Malinick said. “Collaborating with the new Jay and Susie Gogue Performing Arts Center holds tremendous potential to strengthen Auburn’s commitment to the arts and to fostering community while encouraging creativity.”

Malinick’s past experience includes managing Girl Scouts' curatorial collection and cultural resources, containing sundry forms of fine and decorative arts.

Before serving in the Girl Scouts organization, Malinick spent over a decade at the National Trust for Historic Preservation, attaining the roles of deputy and chief of staff in the Historic Sites Department. This role enabled Malinick to work in many different places across the United States to ensure the success of many museums and work with collections that continued pieces from the Tang Dynasty to architect Frank Lloyd Wright. 

“With her commitment to education and innovation, I am confident Cindi will enhance the contributions of the Jule Collins Smith Museum to Auburn’s arts district,” said Christopher Heacox, executive director of the Jay and Susie Gogue Performing Arts Center. “Her knowledge and experiences perfectly align with the museum, and I look forward to supporting her leadership.”

Share and discuss “Jule Collins Smith Museum names new director” on social media.