Police arrest man near Student Center after traffic stop leads to foot chase

<p>The Auburn Police Department took a man into custody on campus on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

The Auburn Police Department took a man into custody on campus on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn police have taken a man into custody near the Student Center after a foot pursuit through the heart of campus.

The foot pursuit came after an Auburn Police Division officer attempted to stop a vehicle on Mell Street near Spidle Hall on campus, Police Captain Lorenza Dorsey told The Plainsman.

The vehicle stopped after a "brief pursuit," police said, and a 25-year-old man from Macon County attempted to flee on foot. When officers caught up to him, he resisted arrest.

Police said a taser was deployed.

He has been placed under arrest on an outstanding warrant in addition to charges of attempting to elude police, resisting arrest and reckless endangerment.

The chase happened through the heart of campus during prime class time. Several students witnessed it.

"He came in between two buildings from the Quad, and he kind of just walked through the grass, and we didn't think anything of it," said Keali Hemmenway, a student who witnessed the arrest.

Police drew weapons in the midst of the chase, video shows.

Then the man, whose identity The Plainsman has not been able to confirm, charged a police car, Hemmenway said.

Campus Safety tweeted that the man was arrested following a traffic stop, and there was no threat to campus.

Warning: Video contains explicit language.

"That's when he went to jump the fencing, and then he turned back around and came back toward the concourse and then started going toward the Student Center," Hemmenway said. 

The eyewitness said she saw police pull a taser on the man, but didn't see them use it. 

Another passenger in the vehicle, a 26-year-old woman from Tuskegee, stayed in the vehicle. She was arrested on an unrelated warrant.

Dorsey said a police officer suffered a minor leg injury and was treated on the scene by paramedics.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Elizabeth Hurley | Community Editor

Elizabeth, senior in journalism and political science, is the community editor for The Plainsman

@lizhurley37

community@theplainsman.com

Share and discuss “Police arrest man near Student Center after traffic stop leads to foot chase” on social media.