Police identify man arrested Thursday on campus after foot pursuit

<p>The Auburn Police Department took a man into custody on campus on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

The Auburn Police Department took a man into custody on campus on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.

The name of the 25-year-old man arrested near the Student Center after a chase through the heart of Auburn’s campus has been released. 

Mitchell Lee Stewart of Hardaway, Alabama, was arrested on charges of fleeing and attempting to elude an officer, resisting arrest and reckless endangerment after he ran during a routine traffic stop.

An Auburn Police Division officer attempted to stop a vehicle on Mell Street near Spidle Hall on campus, Police Captain Lorenza Dorsey told The Plainsman Thursday.

The vehicle stopped after a "brief pursuit," police said, and Stewart attempted to flee on foot. Officers caught up to him, and he resisted arrest.

The foot pursuit and the arrest happened during prime class time Thursday, and dozens of students witnessed the dramatic incident. At some points, police had weapons drawn during the chase.

Auburn Campus Safety did not issue an AU Alert yesterday, saying police determined there was no threat to campus.

Elizabeth Hurley | Community Editor

Elizabeth, senior in journalism and political science, is the community editor for The Plainsman

@lizhurley37

community@theplainsman.com

Share and discuss “Police identify man arrested Thursday on campus after foot pursuit” on social media.