Auburn's Anthony Schwartz named SEC Men's Freshman of the Week

<p>Photo credit: Dawson Powers. Anthony Schwartz at the Clemson Tiger Paw Invitational.&nbsp;</p>

Photo credit: Dawson Powers. Anthony Schwartz at the Clemson Tiger Paw Invitational. 

Auburn football’s fastest man is getting recognized for his efforts on the track.

Anthony Schwartz was named the SEC Men’s Freshman of the Week, the league announced on Tuesday. This follows Schwartz breaking the freshman program record at 60m with times of 6.62 in the preliminaries and a 6.59 in the finals at the Tiger Paw Invitational.

His 6.59 time is tied eighth nationally and is second in the conference while being tied for the top-ranked spot nationally for freshmen.

Schwartz finishes with ninth-fastest time in the 60m by an Auburn athlete in the last 21 years while making him the fifth-best performer in school history.

Separate from showcasing his speed on the football field, Schwartz was previously named the Gatorade National Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year as a senior in high school in 2018. Holding onto a world youth record in the 100m with a time of 10.15, Schwartz also holds a silver medal in the event from the IAAF U20 World Championships in 2018.

The Pembroke Pines, Florida, native returns with the Auburn track team during the SEC Indoor Championships on Feb. 22 and 23 in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Share and discuss “Auburn's Anthony Schwartz named SEC Men's Freshman of the Week ” on social media.