Auburn offers versatility in biking

There are two main types of biking, said Chandler Purtle, department manager at Mountain High Outfitters, allowing bikers to choose the activity they want.

The two types are road biking, which focuses on biking as a mode of transportation, and mountain biking, which focuses on biking as more of a sport or activity.

Bill Perry is a cyclist instructor at the Auburn University Recreation and Wellness Center and got into biking after hurting his knees in track during high school. When his doctor told him it would benefit him to cross train, Perry started getting into biking. 

Once his kids got interested in biking, Perry started doing mountain biking more since he preferred them practicing on a trail rather than a road. 

“That became more of a hobby as well as just a great way to get outdoors and enjoy the active lifestyle,” Perry said. 

Perry said he, along with other volunteer coaches, work together to coach the mountain biking teams at Auburn High School, Opelika High School and Smith Station High School as well as a composite team of Lee County students.

He said he enjoys his instructing and teaching work that encourages people to have that adventurous outdoor lifestyle.

He also enjoys mountain biking races. 

Perry said he and his son recently enjoyed completing the Red Bull Defiance in New Zealand which involved mountain biking, kayaking, running, rappelling and skeet shooting.  

“Biking is freedom,” Perry said.

As far as biking in college, Perry recommends using Auburn Outdoors for its bike rentals and cycling classes at the Rec. 

Perry said there is also an app called Strava that maps out some good routes around the area including some at Chewacla State Park.

When first beginning to pick up biking, he said to try not to increase your activity more than 10 percent a week as a way to make sure not to overdo it.

“I encourage everybody to get out and explore and have an adventurous spirit,” Perry said.

Purtle also encouraged those interested to start biking and said anyone can get a starter bike and see how much they like it or have an affinity for it.

He said when trying out biking, especially mountain biking, beware of the technique and of your surroundings.

The hills of campus can also be an enjoyable ride, Purtle said. 

However, he said biking as a form of transportation can be an enjoyable way to get places.

“I like it because you actually experience your commute more,” Purtle said.

To get more out of the roadside biking experience, try different routes and don’t be afraid to take the longer one, Purtle said.

Abigail Murphy | Operations Editor

Abigail Murphy, senior in journalism with minors in history and women and gender studies, is the operations managing editor at The Auburn Plainsman. 

@Abigail_Murphy_

Share and discuss “Auburn offers versatility in biking” on social media.