Lawmakers send letter to Trump in support of expedited major disaster declaration

Residents and first responders stand together on March 4, 2019, alongside the wreckage of a home completely destroyed by a tornado that killed 23 people in Beauregard, Alabama, the previous day.

After the pair of devastating tornadoes that hit Lee County on Sunday, lawmakers from Alabama sent a letter to President Donald Trump supporting Gov. Kay Ivey’s request for an expedited major disaster declaration for the state.

“The destruction and tragic loss of life caused by Sunday’s tornadoes in Lee County and the surrounding areas is devastating,” said Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Alabama. “Thousands of Alabamians are suffering and in need of our staunch support as they work to rebuild their homes and businesses. It is of the utmost urgency that President Trump support Gov. Ivey’s request for an expedited major disaster declaration for Alabama.”

The letter of support, led by Shelby, was also signed by Sen. Doug Jones, D-Alabama, along with Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Alabama, and Rep. Martha Roby, R-Alabama.

“Alabamians are certainly a resilient people, but given the severity of the damage from these tornadoes, we will still need help,” Jones said. “I strongly support Gov. Ivey’s request for an expedited major disaster declaration and urge the president to accept this request as soon as possible so that Alabamians can begin to rebuild.”

The pair of tornadoes left 23 dead and many more still missing. In all of 2018, there were just 10 people killed by tornado-related damage throughout the entire country. 

“My heart breaks for all the folks across the area impacted by this deadly storm,” Rogers said. “After being on the ground in Lee County today to see the damage firsthand, the process to rebuild will take time. I am grateful to President Trump and the Alabama delegation efforts to expedite the major disaster declaration.”

Trump took to Twitter on Monday to show his support for Ivey and said he is working closely with the governor and FEMA in response to the devastation. Trump also announced Tuesday afternoon that he will be visiting Alabama on Friday. 

“This is a time of unspeakable heartbreak for many individuals and families in Southeast Alabama, especially those in Lee County,” Roby said.  “As our state begins rebuilding in the aftermath of Sunday’s severe weather, I urge President Trump to support Gov. Ivey’s request for an expedited major disaster declaration. In the meantime, my family and I will continue praying for the Alabamians impacted by this devastating event.”

The full text of the letter is available here.

Share and discuss “Lawmakers send letter to Trump in support of expedited major disaster declaration” on social media.