Trump approves major disaster declaration for Lee County after severe weather, tornadoes

A home is destoryed on March 4, 2019, in Beauregard, Alabama, after a tornado killed 23 people and left dozens of other injured and without homes.

President Donald Trump approved a Major Disaster Declaration for Lee County, Alabama, Tuesday. This comes after Gov. Kay Ivey ‘s request for such assistance on Monday and triggers the release of federal funds to help the community recover from Sunday’s storms that ravaged Lee County, killing 23 people. 

The Federal Emergency Management Agency Public Assistance Program will provide assistance to residents of Lee County, such as grants for temporary housing and home repairs and low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses.

The assistance also includes other programs that will help individuals and business owners recover from the storms.

“President Trump has been very gracious and pledged his unwavering support to Alabama since the devastating storms and tornados struck Alabama over the weekend,” Ivey said in a statement. “Twenty-three lives were lost and dozens of Alabamians were injured. This is a difficult time for the state of Alabama, but knowing that we have this additional assistance, and the support of our president and folks across the country, we will get through this together. We will recover, and we will lift up Lee County in this time of need.”

Trump is scheduled to visit the effected areas of the severe weather in Alabama on Friday.

Share and discuss “Trump approves major disaster declaration for Lee County after severe weather, tornadoes” on social media.