Auburn honors students, organizations at seventh annual Involvement Awards

Auburn University hosts the Involvement Awards recognizing student involvement and organizations on Auburn Universities Campus, Tuesday, April 16, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

The red carpet was rolled out on Tuesday night in front of the Student Center Ballroom once again for the 2018-2019 Involvement Awards.

The seventh annual event is a time to recognize and reward numerous students and organizations.

For the first time, the event was emceed by two students, Jacob Sparks and Taylor Jean Annerino, who set a lighthearted tone that lasted throughout the night. 

There were a total of 13 official awards given out to organizations, students and an advisor with a few other students recognized in between.

The winners were: 

• Excellence in Practical Application: Financial Management Association 
  • Outstanding Cultural Impact: African Students Association 
  • Overcoming Adversity Award: The Glomerata 
  • Outstanding Incorporation of Diversity & Inclusion: Student Government Association
  • The Fred & Charlene Kam “Human Touch” Service Award: The Campus Kitchen
  • Most Entertaining Campus Event: Diwali by the Indian Student Association 
  • Excellence in Marketing and Design (non-SAO only): The Societies
  • Excellence in Marketing and Design (SAO only): Emerge
  • Student Leader of the Year: Bria Randal, Kyle Venable, Owen Chandler, Raven Le’Nard and James Harris 
  • The Corey Edwards Organization Advisor of the Year Award: Myoung Gi Chon  
  • Outstanding New Organization: ItsOnUs
  • Most Exceptional Campus Organization (non-SAO only): Student Veterans Association 
  • Most Exceptional Campus Organization (SAO only): Eagle Eye

Bobby Woodard, senior vice president of student affairs, commented on what an honor it was for all the students to be at the ceremony.

“You all do this on full loads, in engineering or business or human sciences, education or whatever,” Woodard said. “Auburn is not an easy school, yet you all do this very well, and I applaud you on that.” 

Throughout the night, guests enjoyed a meal provided by Tiger Dining and mingled with their fellow attendees. Laughter and cheerful conversations filled the room as everyone celebrated each other. Woodard made sure to highlight the high-spirited atmosphere during his speech. 

“Why is Auburn so great?" Woodard said. "It’s great because of you sitting in this room."

Five judges were responsible for choosing the winners: Dane Block, Corey Edwards, Jaime Miller, Mike Stover and Crystal Garcia.

The involvement awards could not be put together without months of hard work from students and faculty, said Corey Edwards, director of student involvement.

“It’s been an all-hands-on-deck effort with about 22 people who have been involved with anything from getting nominations, selecting judges, planning the evening, video and production," Edwards said. "Several months have gone into this."

Making sure students feel appreciated for the work they do is something that is important to Auburn faculty, Edwards said.

“Obviously, students are here for academics first, but there’s a lot of learning that goes on outside of the classroom,” Edwards said. “It’s good just to celebrate all of the great accomplishments and awards of individuals and organizations.” 

Share and discuss “Auburn honors students, organizations at seventh annual Involvement Awards” on social media.