‘We’ve Got Jared’: The man behind the hit

The man behind the hit song “We’ve got Jared,” Drew Crowson, on Tuesday, April 2, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

What started out as funny lyrics and a quick recording session before the Auburn versus Kansas game in the Round of 32 turned into a theme song for Auburn’s March Madness run. 

“We’ve Got Jared” has swept the Auburn Family, which is something the song’s writer, Drew Crowson, never thought would happen. 

“It’s a bit of an out-of-body experience to be 100 percent honest,” Crowson said.

Crowson, 33, is a 2008 Auburn graduate who moved back to The Plains last year and began working with College and Magnolia, an Auburn SBNation blog, and recording an Auburn podcast called “Orange and True.”

He often writes parody lyrics on the blog, an idea he got from his time in Europe. 

“Liverpool Football Club in England, they have a fan song with a very similar trajectory,” Crowson said. “A guy recorded it, and they went on this run in the Champions League. The fans embraced this song, and it became a chant in the stadium.”

The chorus of “We’ve Got Jared” had been stuck in his head since before the SEC Tournament. He decided to record a song right before the Kansas game and settled on one he’d thought of almost a month ago, Crowson said. 

“I wanted to get this done before the game,” Crowson said. “[I said], let’s just record what I have and not try to write a new one. So, I recorded that and thought it wasn’t a big deal.”

Following the game, the song didn’t get much traction. Then, the team found it.

Chuma Okeke and other players posted videos of the team listening and dancing to the song. From there, it took off. 

“I literally had to pull over because my phone was just losing it,” Crowson said. “My phone battery died before noon on Monday just because it couldn’t handle the amount of notifications it was getting.”

The song now has more than 25,000 listens as of Wednesday and prompted several music videos. Crowson even performed the song with local band Magic Johnson live at Auburn University’s Relay for Life last week.

One of the craziest things for Crowson, besides the sheer number of people that have heard his silly song, is that Auburn University and the team have used the song in promotional videos as the team prepares for its first Final Four appearance. 

“That’s the wildest thing,” Crowson said. “They could fly me to New York tomorrow and sing it in front of Barkley, and it wouldn’t be as wild as seeing the University use the song.”

Crowson is using his new-found fame and the popularity of the song to raise money for East Alabama Youth for Christ, a non-profit that mentors teenagers. He created a T-shirt with College and Magnolia that is available on his Twitter, @SonofCrow2.

It’s been like a dream for Crowson. He remembers watching the team come home from their win against Kansas. At that time, the song only had a few listens, and Crowson had a fleeting thought of the crowd singing his song to welcome them home. 

When the team returned from their game against Kentucky, Crowson’s thought became a reality as the crowd erupted into his song. 

“To be a part of a collective celebration is a very unique human experience,” Crowson said. 

Elizabeth Hurley | Community Editor

Elizabeth, senior in journalism and political science, is the community editor for The Plainsman

@lizhurley37

community@theplainsman.com

Share and discuss “‘We’ve Got Jared’: The man behind the hit” on social media.