Draft analyst: Jared Harper 'a lock' for NBA Combine after dominant showing with G League

Jared Harper (1) during UVA vs. Auburn on Saturday, April 6, 2019, in Minneapolis, Minn.

Jared Harper is up to his old tricks at the NBA G League Combine.

According to ESPN draft analyst Jonathan Givony, Harper has been dominating on the offensive side of the floor this week at the event in Chicago.

On Monday, Givony said the 5-foot-11 Harper "looked like the best player on the floor" during the opening scrimmage of the event.

"Showing his speed in transition, making pullup 3s, and finding teammates nicely with well timed lobs and bounce passes," Givony tweeted. "Feel+skill+athleticism stands out." 

That skillset comes as no surprise to Auburn fans. Harper made his living with the Tigers as the unquestioned commander of Bruce Pearl's run-and-gun, 3-point barraging offense with his laser-sharp assists and signature pull-up 3-pointers.

According to Givony, Harper had "another big game" Tuesday and has been the best player at the event, in his opinion.

"...  Should be a lock to move onto the NBA Combine later this week," Givony tweeted. "Completely controlling the game offensively with his passing and shooting, and playing great defense as well."

As Givony alluded to, a select number of players will be chosen from the G League Combine to participate in the official NBA Combine, which begins Tuesday and runs until May 19. 

Former Auburn shooting guard Bryce Brown is also participating in the G League Combine. 

On Monday, top-40 prospect Chuma Okeke pulled out of the NBA Combine after his official invite and elected to keep his name in the draft in favor of returning to school, Givony reported.

Harper is currently projected to go undrafted, but a solid on-court showing — as well as team interviews — could improve his stock should he be selected for the NBA Combine.

After three seasons as Auburn's starting point guard, Harper ranks fifth in program history in assists, sixth in 3-point makes and 14th in scoring. He averaged 15.3 points and 5.8 assists per outing last season as the Tigers made their first Final Four run ever.

“Jared Harper has been the quarterback of this basketball program for the last three years,” said Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl when Harper declared for the draft. “He came here on a promise that together we could help make Auburn basketball relevant. Promises made. Promises kept."

Update: Harper received his invite to the NBA Combine on Tuesday evening, per Givony.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Draft analyst: Jared Harper 'a lock' for NBA Combine after dominant showing with G League” on social media.