Trustees officially name Jay Gogue interim president of the University

"Susie and I love Auburn, and we're honored to again serve the Auburn Family," Gogue said.

<p>Auburn University President Jay Gogue speaks during&nbsp;a reception celebrating his legacy&nbsp;on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.&nbsp;</p>

Auburn University President Jay Gogue speaks during a reception celebrating his legacy on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 in Auburn, Ala. 

Jay Gogue is officially Steven Leath's predecessor and successor. 

The Board of Trustees' Executive Committee  recommended Gogue as interim president on Sunday, June 23 after it was announced on June 21 that Leath and members of the presidential assessment working group mutually decided to part ways.

After the June 23 Executive Committee meeting, the full Board of Trustees held a special meeting on Monday, July 8, via telephone conference call to review the recommendations. 

The trustees accepted the recommendation for Gogue, who served as Auburn University president from 2007-2017, to serve as interim president while the board conducts a national search for a permanent successor.  

The vote was unanimous and is effective immediately.

Auburn completed 116 major construction projects under Gogue's leadership as well as the reconstruction of Toomer's Corner. 

Annual giving from alumni and donors exceeded $200 million in 2015, and under his administration, Auburn became the first school in the state to raise $1 billion in a comprehensive fundraising campaign. 

During his retirement, Gogue has remained active in the community, serving on the City of Auburn's industrial review board. He was appointed to a 6-year term, beginning on October 10, 2018. 

Gogue, who received a bachelor's and master's degree from Auburn, played a large role in bringing GE Aviation to Auburn in 2013. 

University officials will soon be organizing a presidential search committee and identifying a search firm.

SGA President Mary Margaret Turton said she is excited to see Gogue return to the Office of the President and believes he will do a great job.

"I am grateful for Dr. Gogue’s willingness to serve Auburn University again in the presidential role and lead us during this transition," Turton said. "During his time on The Plains, Dr. Gogue has always acted with the students in mind and lives out the Creed daily."

Share and discuss “Trustees officially name Jay Gogue interim president of the University” on social media.