Auburn gets sixth fire station after call surge

<p>A firetruck sits ready to go at a moments notice. (Kenny Moss | Assistant Photo Editor) </p>

A firetruck sits ready to go at a moments notice. (Kenny Moss | Assistant Photo Editor) 

In 2018 the Auburn Fire Department responded to over 5,000 calls. With only five fire stations, the department has four fire engines, two combination ladder and pumper trucks and one command vehicle.

Auburn firefighters must respond to a wide range of emergencies as well as conduct safety checks and inspections on every public and commercial building throughout the city, according to the fire department’s website. 

The City of Auburn has grown rapidly in the past several years. With this influx of people, the City’s fire department has found it difficult to respond efficiently to emergencies. The City has approved the construction of a new fire station to help improve response time for future emergencies. 

The new fire station will be located at the intersection of West Farmville Road and Miracle Road, according to the City Council. The property was purchased for $90,000.

Mayor Ron Anders attributes much of the City’s growth in the north and northwest quadrants as the leading factors for the need for a new fire station. 

Anders remains cautiously optimistic that the recent population influx will continue.

“Who really knows? It depends on a lot of things out of our control, but I believe it will,” Anders said. 

An official opening date has not yet been announced, but Anders said he hopes the new station would be up and running within the next few years. 

Share and discuss “Auburn gets sixth fire station after call surge” on social media.