Oktoberfest celebration set for Saturday

A host pours a guest a sample for Oktoberfest on Saturday, Oct. 6, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

Craft brews and authentic German cuisine are taking to The Plains on Saturday for the 10th annual Auburn Oktoberfest. 

The Auburn University Hotel and Conference Center puts on the event, which has grown significantly over the course of a decade, said Adam Keeshan, event organizer. 

“[At the first event] we had like eight breweries and a bunch of food,” Keeshan said. “It’s kind of taken off from there. It’s gone from like 30,40, 50 people to thousands.” 

The traditional German event taking place in Auburn is being held on the start date of Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany, where people from around the world flock to the city for the world’s largest folk fest, according to the German Oktoberfest website.   

The Auburn event’s attendees can expect to see over 200 brews from about 75 different breweries from around the world, many of which are from the South. Ciders and wines, many of which are made in the German style, will also be available for attendees to taste. 

A biergarten tent will be set up to allow guests to interact with the brewers, Keeshan said.

“That will give guests the opportunity, one, to cool off, but also for that traditional biergarten feel,” Keeshan said. “Just letting guests interact with some of the breweries, try some beers and products that they typically don’t have.”

Tasting of all the beer is included in the price of a drink ticket or food and drink ticket. The event also offers designated-driver tickets, which include non-alcoholic drinks. 

AU Brew, Auburn University’s brewing science program, will also be on hand demonstrating how beer is made, Keeshan said. 

“They’ll be pouring some of the beer that’s made by the program itself,” Keeshan said. 

Several food trucks will also offer up their menus. Food truck German food, gifts and more is making its return to Auburn’s event to serve authentic German cuisine to go with the Oktoberfest brews. 

“We try to incorporate food as much as possible,” Keeshan said. 

Auburn’s event will also feature live music from Kidd Blue. The War Damn Polka Band, which is comprised of Auburn University students and faculty, will also perform traditional Oktoberfest music. 

The event has several other entertainment offerings such as the Samual Adams Stein Hoisting Competition, the Red Clay Brewing Keg Rolling Competition and the Mr. and Miss Oktoberfest contest. Some four-legged event goers can participate in the Moore’s Mill Animal Hospital Wiener Dog Race, Keeshan said. 

“Just trying to tie in all of those traditional games and activities, and the concepts of the biergarten, beer tent to make it as authentic as possible,” Keeshan said. 

TVs will also be set up throughout the event for those looking to watch the Auburn vs. Texas A&M game. 

“We don’t want that to deter people from coming, so we have plenty of TVs,” Keeshan said. 

Tickets for the event are still available online. 

Elizabeth Hurley | Community Editor

Elizabeth, senior in journalism and political science, is the community editor for The Plainsman

@lizhurley37

community@theplainsman.com

Share and discuss “Oktoberfest celebration set for Saturday” on social media.