Auburn teenager arrested in homicide case, according to officials

<p>Ross Jonathan McFarland, 16, is facing murder charges, according to police.</p>

Ross Jonathan McFarland, 16, is facing murder charges, according to police.

An Auburn teenager was arrested Thursday night on murder charges, according to police.

Ross Jonathan McFarland, 16, was arrested after an investigation into a death that occurred in the 700 block of Burke Place off Analue Drive in Auburn on Oct. 17, 2019, police said. 

Officers said they received a call from Burke Place reporting an unresponsive female. Officers found the Martha White Jones, 66, dead from a single gunshot wound, according the Lee County Coroner Bill Harris.

McFarland lived at the same residence on Burke Place, according to police.

Authorities found McFarland, a truck that was missing from the Burke Place residence and the weapon allegedly used in the homicide in the 10,000 block of Highway 50 near Dadeville, Alabama. 

McFarland was taken into custody and transported to the Lee County jail, police said. McFarland is being held on a $150,000 bond, according to officials. 

The case remains under investigation by the Auburn Police Division and Lee County Coroner’s Office. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Auburn Police Division detective section at 334-501-3140 or the anonymous tip line at 334-246-1391.

Eduardo Medina | Editor-in-chief

Eduardo Medina, senior in journalism, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Auburn teenager arrested in homicide case, according to officials” on social media.