October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month- Here's what you should know year round

As the saying goes: In October, we wear pink. October is nationally recognized as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. During October, we see pink everywhere in the Auburn community: Auburn High School hosted their annual pink out game on Oct. 25 and Auburn University held its All In, All Pink event on Oct.25 with other student organizations hosting their own events to bring awareness to one of the most common forms of cancer among women in the US. 

Raising awareness is a great thing: it creates the arena for survivors to share their story. However, breast cancer awareness should be important year-round. Here’s why:

Except for skin cancers, breast cancer is the most common form of cancer among women in the US. The American Cancer Society released its 2019 Cancers Facts and Figures report with 271,270 new cases of breast cancer being reported in 2019. Out of the 271, 270 cases reported, 268, 600 of those cases were women with 41,760 women dying from the disease. 

In Alabama, out of 28,950 sites, breast cancer came in first for the most diagnosed form of cancer in 2019 with 4240 new cases and 690 deaths. In all cases, women accounted for the breast cancer rates and death throughout Alabama.

It’s safe to say breast cancer is a significant public health issue.  However, it is highly preventable with regular screenings and self-examination. At the Auburn University Women’s Health Clinic, doctors and nurses like Rachel Brown are providing health services geared towards breast cancer prevention.

Brown, who is a nurse practitioner at the clinic, emphasizes how important breast cancer awareness must be to women in the Auburn community on an intellectual level. “I believe we all have to find a simple way to remind ourselves to check monthly to actually complete the breast check that is so importance, but once we get in the habit, it will benefit us greatly,” said Brown. 

The AU Women’s Health Clinic provides routine breast exams and genetic testing for those who have concerns. She also stresses having a sense of urgency for those who have the slightest concern. “Self-examination is extremely important in the prevention of breast cancer,” said Brown. 

When self-checking, both men and women should look for abnormalities of the breast including swelling or dimpling of the nipple, puckering of the skin around the breast and any changes in the breast muscle. Feeling for lumps and hard knots are another way to accurately check for any signs of breast cancers. 

“I encourage my patients that breast familiarity is one of the most essential pieces of overall breast health.  I tell patients often to not sit at home and worry about any breast concerns but come in to be checked. If nothing else, we can provide reassurance and a plan of action that will often include imaging such as ultrasound and/or mammogram to further evaluate any concerns.”

With October coming to an end, breast cancer awareness will continue to be a year-round issue. With knowledge and proactive examination, women in Auburn can continue to stay informed on how they can prevent breast cancer all year long. 

Share and discuss “October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month- Here's what you should know year round” on social media.