City opening new park in fall 2021

<p>A concept plan for Dinius Park contributed by the City of Auburn.</p>

A concept plan for Dinius Park contributed by the City of Auburn.

As talks of more buildings going up around Auburn increase, the City’s Parks and Recreation Department is bringing more green to the Plains. 

Construction of a 13-acre plot of land is set to begin in April 2020 to bring another park to the City’s repertoire of green spaces. It is planned to be finished the following October. 

Just over $800,000 has been budgeted for the park’s construction for the next two fiscal years, according to the City's budget. 

The park, to be named Dinius Park, will be located on East Glenn Avenue and will be within walking distance of several neighborhoods. 

The developing park will include two dog parks, one for smaller breeds and another for larger. 

It will also include trails and natural playgrounds that will have minimal impacts on the environment, said Ann Bergman, public relations specialist for Parks and Recreation for the City of Auburn. 

“We are keeping as many trees as possible,” Bergman said. “As well as many plants that are beneficial for the park.” 

This park will be void of any type of sports field or extra, man-made fields in order to maintain the natural state of the land. 

“This is going to be the first park in Ward 4,” said Ward 4 Council member Brett Smith. 

During the cooler seasons, the park will be an active, lively space for families and children to play with all of its benefits and resources, Smith said. 

“The park makes you feel like you are a part of nature,” Smith said. “It is an escape.” 

The land for this park was left to the City by its namesake, the Dinius family. Their wish for the land was for it to be transformed into a passive park for the community to enjoy, Bergman said. 

“[It provides] an opportunity for families to go out and spend time with each other as opposed to watching TV,” Smith said. 

Share and discuss “City opening new park in fall 2021” on social media.