Community center coming to Auburn park

<p>Via the City of Auburn Parks and Recreation Master Plan. Lake Wilmore Park, shown above, will be the location of the new Lake Wilmore Community Center.</p>

Via the City of Auburn Parks and Recreation Master Plan. Lake Wilmore Park, shown above, will be the location of the new Lake Wilmore Community Center.

The Lake Wilmore Community Center, an upcoming project for Auburn’s Parks and Recreation Department, is expected to cost over $7 million.

The community center, located in Lake Wilmore Park along Ogletree Road, will feature many amenities such as gymnasiums and a pool, said City of Auburn Parks and Recreation director Becky Richardson.

“The community center will be multipurpose with two gymnasiums that can be used for basketball, volleyball, pickleball and other activities,” Richardson said. “There will also be some space for fitness equipment and fitness classroom and an indoor walking track above the gym area. Also two additional classrooms will be added to available program space.” 

The Lake Wilmore Community Center will add another community pool to Auburn. This will be the City’s second public pool. 

“The pool will be a neighborhood-type pool that can be used for lessons as well as for recreational swimming,“ Richardson said. “The pool will help with swim lessons and because there is a pool on site, the center will be a good place for another day camp during the summer and these are very much in demand with long waiting lists.”

The community center will also feature oudoor recreational amenities. 

Richardson said there is a need for an expansive center such as Lake Wilmore and expects it to have an impact on the community. 

“The Community Center will help to alleviate the need for additional program space,” Richardson said. “Last season we had to turn some children away from playing basketball, so the two gyms will help to solve that problem.”

Community members have been working with City staff to put together the plans for this community center. They have hosted meetings with community members to discuss the plans for the center and leave their input or make comments for review. 

The Lakewilmore Community Center is part of the Parks and Recreation Master Plan, which includes a $40 million revamp of Auburn’s Parks and Recreation facilities. 

It is just one of the many projects the Parks and Recreation department is planning. Other projects that are included in the departments plans are the Dinius Park, Wire Road Soccer Complex, The Society Hill Park and renovations toTown Creek Park. 

Share and discuss “Community center coming to Auburn park” on social media.