National Signing Day Recap: Auburn inks 22 signees to 2020 class

"I think it’s more important than ever to get high character, great families and just the stability of your program, roster management and everything that goes with that. So I’m very excited about this group."

Auburn football signing day on Wednesday, Dec. 18, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. 
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Auburn football signing day on Wednesday, Dec. 18, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

College football’s early signing period began today, which is now, ultimately, the new National Signing Day for the nation’s top high school and junior college prospects to announce their next destination. Before the new rules, the spectacle was in February but now head coaches and their staffs can get a head start on the majority of their incoming class before bowl season even begins. 

Auburn added 22 signees Wednesday and is expected to take three more before the recruiting cycle wraps up in a few months, with the only commitments who didn't sign their letter of intent being Jay Hardy and Jonathan Buskey. Gus Malzahn is projected to ring in another top-10 class according to multiple sites, coming in at No. 7 in the 247Sports Composite and No. 8 on Rivals. The Tigers' recruiting class is currently the 6th best in the SEC behind Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia and Florida. 

Here’s everything you need to know about Auburn’s 2020 signees: 

Kilian Zierer (OT, 6-7, 284; College of Canyons CC; Hohenkirchen, Germany): It’s no surprise that offensive line was a point of emphasis this recruiting cycle, with Auburn losing five senior contributors after the bowl game. Zierer was recruited mainly by J.B. Grimes and has been committed to the Tigers since July. The German product is the No. 1 JUCO offensive tackle and No. 18 overall prospect. Although he is only a 3-star prospect and fairly new to football, he grew up playing soccer so his footwork and agility for someone his size will help him transition smoothly. Zierer has the ability to play left or right tackle and can finish blocks at the second level very effectively, which would be key for the Tigers’ running attack moving forward. 

"He’s athletic. He’s only been playing football, I believe, for two years," Malzahn said. "We really think that he’s got a chance to really be a special player. He’ll be here in January."

Jeremiah Wright (OL, 6-5, 340; Selma HS; Selma, Ala.): Like Zierer, Wright has also been committed to J.B. Grimes and the Tigers since the summer. The 3-star lineman is a top-30 prospect in Alabama and is rated as the No. 40 offensive guard at his position. Wright was so attractive to Auburn mainly because of his versatility and athleticism, as well his ability to play multiple positions. He played on both the offensive and defensive lines at the high school level. 

"Big, athletic guy. We really felt like if he was in an area like Atlanta, he would be one of the top linemen in the country. He plays offense and defense. He's got an unbelievable skill set."

Brenden Coffey (OT, 6-6, 264; Butte (Calif.) CC; Paradise HS; Paradise, Calif.): Coffey is a 3-star JUCO product who had only committed a month ago, choosing Auburn over Arizona State and Utah. The California native is the second top-5 JUCO offensive lineman in the class, coming in at No. 3, and is the No. 24 overall JUCO prospect. Coffey is still raw so will have to lean on Grimes for guidance and development, but possesses explosive athleticism and his combination of size and speed are rarely seen at his size. 

"He came on a visit this summer and you could tell right off the bat that he fit. He’s a hard-nosed guy. We really think, potential, that he’s got a chance to really be a good offensive lineman and has a chance to help us right off the bat when he gets here."

Avery Jernigan (C, 6-3, 306; Pierce County HS; Blackshear, Ga.): Jernigan is a top-20 offensive guard that picked Auburn over South Carolina and Florida State, and is just inside the top-400 overall of the 247Sports Composite rankings. He was first team all-region and all-state in high school playing both tackle and guard, but needs to improve in the pass-blocking scheme at Auburn. Jernigan moves very well, has great range and is an extremely physical blocker down field. 

“He’s really an Auburn-type player. 3.8 GPA. Tough, hard-nosed. Dad’s an athletic director/coach. Really feel like he fits us real good, can play center or guard.”

Tate Johnson (OG, 6-3, 325; Callaway HS; LaGrange, Ga.): Johnson rounds out the offensive line class that sent in their letter of intent Wednesday. The Georgia product, who plays alongside fellow signee Tank Bigsby, is ranked among the top 15 at his position on Rivals and top 30 on 247Sports. The 3-star signee still needs to work on his quickness but showed promise as a dominant run blocker this season. 

"Also another tough, hard-nosed Auburn-type kid. Really stood out to me when I watched these camps when he went against some of the best defensive linemen in the country and really held his own."

Elijah Canion (WR, 6-4, 201; Chaminade-Madonna HS; Sunrise, Fla.): Canion is a top-100 wide receiver in the 247Sports rankings and, despite being pegged as a 3-star, was considered a top two or three wide out in south Florida by Auburn’s staff. He led his high school team in receptions, yards and touchdowns en route to a state title and chose Auburn over Florida and USC. Canion is a player that most experts think is underrated considering his length and ability to take the top off a defense but will need to get stronger at the next level. 

"He is a tall, athletic receiver. Really reminds me of Seth Williams. I think he’s got a chance to be an excellent player. I think he’s got great upside and can really run."

Ze’Vian Capers (WR, 6-4, 192; Denmark HS; Alpharetta, Ga.): Capers is a 4-star prospect, and the No. 24 wide receiver on 247Sports, that Auburn flipped back in July and were so adamant to do so because Malzahn and Kodi Burns feel he can come in and compete for playing time right away. He is a big body, with long arms and excellent hands which is the ideal type of weapon to provide Bo Nix in his second season. Capers will need to bulk up but overall his game is polished, especially as a route runner, and he makes things happen when the ball finds him.

“This is a guy that I think is an impact player. Really smooth. Runs very good routes. Snatches the ball with his hands. Keeps his feet on the ground…And if you look at our receivers, we really wanted to get taller and bigger and longer. That’s what we did in this class with that.”

Kobe Hudson (WR, 6-0, 185; Troup County HS; Pine Mountain, Ga.): Hudson is a top-10 prospect in the state of Georgia who chose Auburn over the Bulldogs as well as Alabama, and was also the Tigers’ first commitment in their 2020 class. The four-star prospect is an all-around athlete and played quarterback his junior and senior seasons of high school. Hudson will need to get faster but has shown to be an incredibly smooth receiver and talented playmaker.

“I put athlete because I’ve been recruiting this guy since eighth grade. Really think he’s got a chance to be special. Plays quarterback, which he could also get some snaps at from time to time…He’s going to be an outstanding player.”

JJ Evans (WR, 6-2, 192; Montevallo HS; Montevallo, Ala.): Evans is a top-5 recruit in the state of Alabama and signed to play at Auburn over Alabama, Georgia and LSU. In his final two seasons at Montevallo, he compiled almost 2,500 yards of receiving and was selected to play in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game. He is a speedy prospect with natural hands and a dynamic skillset.  

“Another big receiver, from Birmingham. A guy that is excellent with the ball in his hands. Really think he’s got a chance to be a very special-type receiver. Like I said, he can really run, and he is strong.”

Cartavious “Tank” Bigsby (RB, 6-0, 209; Callaway HS; LaGrange, Ga.): Bigsby is the crowning jewel of Auburn’s 2020 class and is the No. 1 running back in the country on Rivals, as well as the Tigers’ lone 5-star signee. The Georgia product chose Auburn over Georgia, Florida and South Carolina and has the potential to be a very productive every-down back in the SEC. Bigsby combines good size and speed with dangerous potential in the open field. 

“He’s a one-play drive type of guy. I mean, from anywhere on the field he can take it to the house. He’s got receiver type skills with his hands. Very excited about Tank. We think he’s an impact player. We think he could help us immediately.” 

JJ Pegues (TE, 6-2, 298; Oxford HS; Oxford, Miss.):  Pegues was a top target for Malzahn this recruiting cycle so it was a huge get when the tight end committed to Auburn over Alabama and Ole Miss Wednesday morning. He is listed as the No. 7 athlete nationally and the No. 4 prospect in Mississippi. Pegues is light on his feet and has great body control for someone his size, so the Tigers hope they can utilize him in a variety of ways.

“He’s going to play our H-Back. At the same time, he’s versatile enough that you can split him out and let him do his thing. I don’t know if there’s anybody else in the country that has the skillset that he has.”

Chayil Garnett (QB, 6-1, 211; Lakeland HS; Lake Wales, Fla.): Garnett is a 3-star, dual-threat quarterback out of Florida who has been committed to the Tigers since early April. He struggled with his completion percentage in high school but is a skilled runner with a strong arm so under the right coaching from Chad Morris, he could flourish. 

“Really looking at our offense, we really feel like he fits us. He's a dual-threat guy. He can run it. He's got a quick release, and he throws a good deep ball.”

Zykeivous Walker (DE, 6-4, 267; Schley County HS; Ellaville, Ga.): Defensive line coach Rodney Garner was the leader in bringing Walker, the No. 7 strong side defensive end, to Auburn over Georgia and Florida. The four-star prospect has drawn comparisons to Marlon Davidson because of his strength in the run game and his quickness around the edge pressuring the quarterback.

“You know, he reminds us of Marlon (Davidson) and Derrick (Brown) at that age. I know that’s big shoes to fill but at this point, he’s got the skillset. He is a wonderful person, has got a great personality.”

Daniel Foster-Allen (DE, 6-4, 264; St. Paul’s HS; Saraland, Ala.): Foster-Allen is an explosive defender, with ideal frame, who showed in high school the ability to rush the quarterback effectively. He was ranked by ESPN as a top-25 recruit in the state and was also a participant in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game. 

“He's a big guy, think he's very versatile. Think he's got a very good upside. He plays the run well. He's a solid pass rusher, too.” 

Romello Height (Buck, 6-4, 217; Dublin HS; Dublin, Ga.): The Tigers flipped Height Wednesday afternoon just a week after the 4-star buck linebacker tweeted he was “1,000” percent committed to Miami. Height is extremely athletic and is considered great against the run, as well as a speedy pass rusher. This was a big target at a position of need for Kevin Steele’s defense. 

“Yeah, we knew about him all season. He came on a visit to a game, and you know, really connected, and we could tell that he’s our type of player. We knew he had a big-time skillset, and so we just hung in there.”

Desmond Tisdol (LB, 6-0, 210; Wilcox County HS; Rochelle, Ga.): After circumstances earlier in the year that caused Tisdol to start trending away from the Plains, the four-star became Auburn’s third linebacker signee of the 2020 class Wednesday morning. With former commit Trenton Simpson signing with Clemson, a spot opened for Tisdol — the No. 8 inside linebacker in the country. What he lacks in size he makes up with in lower body strength and versatility. 

“He’s a linebacker we've recruited for a long time. He also played running back for his team. A very good skill set. Coach T-Will has been on him a long time. We're excited to have him, really think he fits what we do defensively.”

Cam Riley (LB, 6-4, 207; Hillcrest HS; Evergreen, Ala.): Riley, who is the No. 23 outside linebacker overall, has been committed to the Tigers since June and signed to play with Auburn over Texas A&M. Linebackers coach Travis Williams recruited Riley early on in the process because of his instincts and elite first step. Has a long, wiry frame with room to put on weight.

“This guy is 6-4, 207. He's long, he can run, he is going to be a big man. He's got a great personality, got a great family. Really think his upside is really big.”

Wesley Steiner (LB, 6-0, 226; 6-0, 226; Houston County HS; Warner Robins, Ga.): The third and final linebacker of the 2020 class is four-star Wesley Steiner. Steiner is the No. 5 inside linebacker and may be one of the most athletic recruits in the country, winning the Football Rating Championship at The Opening Final. He has a unique combination of speed and power, and has the chance to make immediate impact as freshman. 

“He's fast, he's strong, he's won state championships in track. Coach T-Will did a great job recruiting him. Really think he's got a chance to be an outstanding player.”

Chris Thompson Jr. (S, 6-1, 201; Duncanville HS; DeSoto, Texas): Auburn went into the state of Texas to steal Thompson, a physical, punishing safety, from the Longhorns. Thompson is rated as the No. 2 safety prospect nationally by ESPN and is a top-30 player in Texas according to 247Sports rankings. The four-star prospect has great height and length, and is considered one of the harder hitting safeties of the class with elite closing speed. 

“Coach (Wesley) McGriff has done a great job recruiting him. He's like a coach on the field. He's a really good tackler. He can cover. Like I said, a very versatile guy.”

Ladarius Tennison (S, 5-10, 195; Rockledge HS; Rockledge, Fla.): The Tigers beat out Florida, Miami and North Carolina to add Tennison, the No. 4 athlete in the country, to its class. Auburn is expected to use the four-star athlete at nickel but he can play anywhere, and may be the most physical player in this class. He has excellent instincts with experience at linebacker and safety.

“We felt like he was one of the better all-around football players in the country. I know our defense wanted him. The offensive side wanted him. He’s very good with the ball in his hands. He’s a special type of returner. I really think he’s going to come in here and have a chance to play right off the bat and help us.”

Marco Domio (CB, 6-1, 172; Blinn (Texas) JC; Heights HS; Houston, Texas): Domio was arguably the Tigers’ most important signee on the defensive end because of the need for depth at the cornerback position. Domio was the No. 3 JUCO corner and picked Auburn over LSU and Texas A&M. The four-star defensive back is tall, long and athletic with playmaking ability. The Auburn secondary can’t ask for much more.

“Really think Marco — first of all, he's got a very good skill set. Really think he could come in here and help us right off the bat.”

Eric Reed Jr. (CB, 6-0, 195; Calvary Baptist Academy; Shreveport, La.): The Tigers capped off their early signing day by adding 4-star corner Eric Reed, beating out arch-rival Georgia. Reed is Auburn’s fourth defensive back signee of 2020 and all four are 4-star prospects. The cornerback is the No. 6 recruit out of Louisiana and is yet another Tigers’ defensive back signee with a great frame and ideal height. Reed is a physical corner with top-end speed that can play corner, nickel and safety. 

Share and discuss “National Signing Day Recap: Auburn inks 22 signees to 2020 class” on social media.