Tale of the Tape: 2019 Iron Bowl defined by momentum-shifting moments

<p>Smoke Monday (21) returns an interception for a touchdown during Auburn football vs. Alabama on Nov. 30, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Smoke Monday (21) returns an interception for a touchdown during Auburn football vs. Alabama on Nov. 30, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

The bushes have been trampled, Toomer's Corner has been rolled and Auburn now boasts a 48-45 victory in the Iron Bowl. But Alabama led in time of possession, total yards, passing yards, first downs and total plays.

So how did Auburn pull it off? We look at how multiple turnovers, the decision-making of Gus Malzahn and an offense finding its groove helped Auburn pull off a win for the ages.

Coming off a 43-yard field goal by Anders Carlson to tie the game 10-10, Auburn's defense sent four at Alabama quarterback Mac Jones while one stayed back to spy on Najee Harris. 

Jones receives no pressure and has a clean pocket to make any throw he would like. Jerry Jeudy was open on the crossing route, but Jones floats it way above Jeudy's head and straight into the hands of Smoke Monday. Monday took it 29 yards for a touchdown after receiving a block from Roger McCreary. This was Monday's first interception of the year and Auburn's eighth total. 

Auburn's second interception of the game and ninth of the year came on the goal-line. Alabama had been set up on the goal line after Auburn committed a multitude of penalties, including a passing interference and a hands-to-the-face call on Marlon Davidson. 

Jones fakes the handoff to Harris and is supposed to return right back to Harris as he rolls out. The play is disrupted by Big Kat Bryant, who jumps the snap and forces Jones to rush the play, causing him to throw the ball early. 

Harris is not turned around when Jones throws the ball, and it bounces off Harris right into the hands of Zakoby McClain. McClain turns on the jets and runs 100 yards for a touchdown to give Auburn a 37-31 lead. 

Coming into this game, Auburn was the only team in the SEC to not have a score off a turnover. The defense left the game with two.

This next play may seem familiar to Auburn fans — that is because this touchdown catch by Sal Cannella is the same play that he caught at the beginning of the Washington game in Atlanta last year for a touchdown. 

Bo Nix receives good protection and time to throw in the pocket. The offensive line did a great job of keeping Nix safe all game, becoming the only unit all year not to allow a sack to the Crimson Tide. Nix pump-fakes, freezing Alabama edge rusher Anfernee Jennings and giving Nix the safety to make the pass. 

Cannella uses a double move to get the corner of the end zone — a spot where, at 6-foot-5 —Cannella can use his height to his advantage. Nix puts the ball in a place where only his receiver can make the grab.

Boobee Whitlow started the game with a fumble that turned into an Alabama touchdown and a dropped pass on third down. 

But when the game got late, Whitlow produced clutch plays to keep Auburn in the game. This run is a perfect example of that. The play starts out with Eli Stove coming in motion to show a sweep as Nix hands it off to Whitlow. John Samuel Shenker lays a key block on an incoming Alabama defender that could have disrupted the play.

Jack Driscoll and Mike Horton open up a clear running lane as Whitlow cuts back to the right side of the offensive line. Whitlow uses a burst of speed to run past Alabama defensive back Trevon Diggs, running to the outside before being pushed out just outside the red zone. Whitlow finished the game with 114 yards on 16 carries, averaging 7.1 yards per carry.

With Anthony Schwartz out for the game after getting injured on the first play of the game, Shaun Shivers came in for a third-and-5 out of the Wildcat formation and made one of the most highlighted plays of the game. 

Shivers came in motion received the pitch from Whitlow. Shivers received three great blocks along the right side to set up his run. As Shivers turned on the jets, only one Alabama defender stood in his path: Xavier McKinney. 

The 5-foot-7, 179-pound running back lowered his head and did not try to run past McKinney — instead, Shivers ran through him. Shivers hit him so hard that it sent McKinney's helmet flying in the air. With two other Alabama defenders falling at the feet of Shivers, he ran in for a touchdown to give Auburn the lead that was upheld on the Jordan-Hare scoreboards until they hit triple zeroes. 

Share and discuss “Tale of the Tape: 2019 Iron Bowl defined by momentum-shifting moments” on social media.