Meet Ada Ruth Huntley: candidate for SGA president

Ada Ruth Huntley, junior in global studies, is running for SGA president.

Ada Ruth Huntley, junior in global studies, remembers going to Auburn football games as a child, clad in orange and blue, bearing witness to a University that made its members feel like family.

Now, Huntley is running to lead a student body that she believes embodies the best of Auburn: passion, empathy and a willingness to face issues directly and honestly.

“Knowing my leadership abilities and what I can bring to the table, that’s why I decided to run for this,” Huntley said.

There are three key issues she’ll address if elected president: health, wellness and diversity, she said.

Instead of making a blanket promise to uphold diversity, Huntley said she wants to create an inclusion certification program for on-campus organizations encouraging people to engage with these topics in a practical manner. 

“No family is perfect,” Huntley said. “There are still students on this campus who struggle with their identity in the Auburn Family.”

Mental health and wellness are also key issue for Huntley. She said she’s experienced anxiety and depression, but she’s “very open about it” because it’s what good leaders do — be truthful and honest with themselves.

“It’s not a hindrance — it’s a challenge, and it’s a challenge that many people have,” she said. “It’s a challenge that I think makes me a better leader because I’m able to apply those experiences.”

Huntley plans to establish a task force focusing on mental health and advocate for the addition of a military-trained counselor on campus to support student veterans.

Eduardo Medina | Editor-in-chief

Eduardo Medina, senior in journalism, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Meet Ada Ruth Huntley: candidate for SGA president” on social media.