University suspends travel to China over coronavirus concerns

<p>Produced by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), in collaboration with Colorado State University, this highly magnified, digitally colorized scanning electron microscopic (SEM) image, reveals ultrastructural details at the site of interaction of two spherical shaped, Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) viral particles, colorized blue, that were on the surface of a camel epithelial cell, colorized red.<br>
</p>

Produced by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), in collaboration with Colorado State University, this highly magnified, digitally colorized scanning electron microscopic (SEM) image, reveals ultrastructural details at the site of interaction of two spherical shaped, Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) viral particles, colorized blue, that were on the surface of a camel epithelial cell, colorized red.

Auburn University announced Friday evening that it will be temporarily suspending all University travel to China for students, faculty and staff due to concerns over the spread of the coronavirus.

University officials also encourage those who have traveled to China recently to take precautions. 

Faculty, staff and students who have returned from China within the past two weeks or have been exposed to someone who is sick and returned from China within the past two weeks are encouraged to visit the University medical clinic.

Students who feel they may be experiencing symptoms or have been exposed to the coronavirus are asked to call the medical clinic, said Dr. Fred Kam, director of the campus medical clinic.

Symptoms of the coronavirus are similar to the flu, such as fever, coughing and difficulty breathing, according to Kam.

“Our highest priority is the safety and well-being of our campus community,” said Auburn Interim President Jay Gogue. “We are taking these steps out of an abundance of caution.”

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “University suspends travel to China over coronavirus concerns” on social media.