EAMC opens drive-thru testing center, test 50 people

The drive-thru testing center is located at the old Health Plus Fitness Center. The address is 1171 Gatewood Dr #101, Auburn, AL 36830.

<p>The East Alabama Medical Center in Opelika, Ala., on Monday, Jan. 15, 2018.</p>

The East Alabama Medical Center in Opelika, Ala., on Monday, Jan. 15, 2018.

East Alabama Medical Center opened a drive-thru coronavirus testing center on Monday and announced it was able to send 50 test kits to the Alabama Department of Public Health, according to EAMC President Laura Grill.

The drive-thru testing center is located at the old Health Plus Fitness Center. The address is 1171 Gatewood Drive #101, Auburn, AL 36830.

Grill said at a press conference Monday that the driver-thru center has allowed EAMC to have a "large circulation area" that is located away from the main hospital. 

“We have outdoor tents and people are sent there by appointment to test after they’ve called the 334-528-SICK number,” Grill said.

People need to call 334-528-SICK before going to the drive-thru because, as Grill said, the drive-thru is for scheduled appointments.

Patients will not have to leave their vehicle at the drive-thru testing center.

"Things are very busy at the hospital," Grill said. "What we're doing is organization."

And what the community can do to help, she said, is practice social distancing — especially younger people.

Eduardo Medina | Editor-in-chief

Eduardo Medina, senior in journalism, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “EAMC opens drive-thru testing center, test 50 people” on social media.