Quick facts to know about COVID-19, Auburn resources

<p>This illustration, created at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, reveals ultrastructural morphology exhibited by coronaviruses. The illness caused by this virus has been named coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).</p>

This illustration, created at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, reveals ultrastructural morphology exhibited by coronaviruses. The illness caused by this virus has been named coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

Below, you’ll find information about symptoms of COVID-19, university and local resources and other information. Click here for live updates as the situation warrants on campus and in the community.

Click here to see The Plainsman's full coverage of COVID-19 in the Auburn-Opelika area.

Quick facts

• Symptoms for the novel coronavirus include fever, tiredness, shortness of breath and dry cough, according to the CDC. Some may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea, and these symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually, according to the CDC. 
  • Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don't feel unwell. 
  • 80% of people recover from the disease without needing special treatment. Around one out of six people who get COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing.
  • A task force was established by President Jay Gogue to monitor and plan for the impact that COVID-19 may have on campus.
  • The University created a website to deliver all coronavirus-related communication.

Precautions to take

• Students, faculty and staff who believe they were exposed to COVID-19 or have symptoms should call the Auburn University Medical Clinic at 334-844-9825 before visiting the clinic.
  • The Alabama Department of Public Health is setting up a call center for people that need more information about being tested for the coronavirus. That number is 1-888-264-2256. 
  • On weekends or after hours, they should call East Alabama Medical Center's COVID-19 hotline at 334-528-7425 before going to the hospital.
  • The Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.

Eduardo Medina | Editor-in-chief

Eduardo Medina, senior in journalism, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Quick facts to know about COVID-19, Auburn resources” on social media.