University Housing postpones move-outs until further notice

<p>Toomer Hall in the Hill at Auburn University in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Toomer Hall in the Hill at Auburn University in Auburn, Ala.

Students who still need to gather their belongings from residence halls will have to delay move-out plans. University Housing announced it will suspend its early move-out days because of Gov. Kay Ivey's stay-at-home order issued on April 3.

All future move-out weekends have been put on hold until a "later date," and residents will not be able to visit campus to carry out the process, according to the statement.

"As you know this is a rapidly evolving situation, and we will continue to evaluate our move-out plan and provide updates as quickly as possible," the statement said.

University Housing emphasized in the alert that its main concern is keeping students and their families safe during this time.

"The safety of our residents is our highest priority, and we will continue to make decisions with that priority at the forefront," the statement said. "Our goal is to ensure the safety of all involved by honoring the governor's stay-at-home order."

In the meantime, University Housing stated that residents' items will remain stored in their rooms and that there is "no rush to return to campus." Additional information on move-outs after this weekend will be provided at a later time depending on public health conditions.

Students were previously allowed to visit campus on any weekend between March 27-29 and June 26-28 to collect any possessions left behind. Residence halls were open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. with University Housing staff present to provide an express checkout packet and collect room keys.

Those who have extenuating circumstances regarding early move-out plans, or who have already arranged tickets for travel, are asked to email housing@auburn.edu to discuss individual matters.

Share and discuss “University Housing postpones move-outs until further notice” on social media.