Lucy's Adopt a Doc/Nurse program provides over 1,200 meals to EAMC

<p>Lucy's, opened in September of 2018, is located off of 2300 Moores Mill Road. &nbsp;</p>

Lucy's, opened in September of 2018, is located off of 2300 Moores Mill Road.  

Lucy’s wrapped up their "Adopt a Doc/Nurse" program on Friday. They served meals to East Alabama Medical Center twice each week from the end of March until May 15, said Lucy’s owner Lisa van der Reijden.

Through donations to their program, Lucy’s served over 1,200 meals to EAMC staff in total, van der Reijden said. Over 300 meals were served on the last day of the program.

“If someone purchased to feed the whole hospital, it would be between 100 and 150 meals,” van der Reijden said. “We also delivered to testing sites and other places the hospital wanted the meals to go to.”

Lucy's delivered the majority of meals to EAMC, but the hospital asked for some meals to be delivered to testing sites as well, van der Reijden said. The hospital administration also chose who received meals on days where Lucy’s did not have enough meals to feed the entire staff.

“[The program] was a twofold benefit,” van der Reijden said. “We were able to keep our staff employed and also provide the hospital with meals. It’s not a lot of money, but it’s a little bit of money to pay our staff.”

Lucy’s also ran the "Buy a Supper/Give a Supper" program, which gave away a $50 gift card for every family supper purchased, van der Reijden said. The program helped recently unemployed hospitality-related workers through support from the Hudson Family Foundation.

Business at Lucy’s has been steady throughout the pandemic, staying open for carryout orders and ensuring employment for staff, van der Reijden said. Customers cannot enter the dining room yet, but they can order food online or at the window and eat on the patio. The bar is also open on the patio.

“We’re not taking orders at tables or providing china, glasses or silver,” van der Reijden said. “We’re taking it slow and trying to make decisions weekly.”

Charlie Ramo | Content Editor

Charlie Ramo, junior in aerospace engineering, is the content editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

@byCharlieRamo

Share and discuss “Lucy's Adopt a Doc/Nurse program provides over 1,200 meals to EAMC” on social media.