APD begins to proactively enforce Safer at Home Order

Due to issues with recent noncompliance with the statewide Safer at Home Order, Auburn Police Division will begin proactively enforcing the order. Previously, APD took an educational approach rather than a proactive one.

According to an APD press release, Auburn’s Public Safety Department has received multiple complaints over the past week about noncompliance from businesses and patrons. Police officers will now begin writing citations to those in violation of the health order, which includes a fine.

APD reminds businesses and office spaces that they should encourage face masks and social distancing of at least six feet between individuals not of the same household.

Bars and nightclubs are required to keep the crowd capable of distancing at least six feet apart, regardless of whether they are seated, dancing, eating or participating in other activities. All patrons are required to wear masks when within six feet of members of another household.

“As always, many of our citizens serve as an example in this effort,” said Public Safety Director Paul Register. “It is our desire that others will comply and help keep enforcement actions to a minimum. We greatly appreciate the public’s cooperation as we work together to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 in our community.”

The current Safer at Home Order is set to expire on August 31 at 5:00 p.m, though Gov. Ivey has the ability to amend it and extend it.

Charlie Ramo | Content Editor

Charlie Ramo, junior in aerospace engineering, is the content editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

@byCharlieRamo

Share and discuss “APD begins to proactively enforce Safer at Home Order” on social media.