Students say they have good Wi-Fi but poor connection

Plainsman Residence hall in the morning on Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2020, in Auburn.

Last August, Auburn’s campus was booming with students as the beginning of the fall 2019 semester began. Dining halls, the Student Center, classrooms and residence halls saw thousands of students eating, hanging out with friends, learning and studying. 

However, this year things are looking quite different around campus, especially for students living on campus at a time when many classes have moved online. So what is on campus living really like for those whose schedules are compiled of just online classes? 

Some students living in residence halls this year have mixed emotions about having mostly online classes. Savannah Aldridge, freshman in pre-nursing, is among them.

“I feel like I have a hard time making friends and putting myself out there while being locked up in my room all the time,” Aldridge said. 

Aldridge said she believes it’s unfortunate the class of 2024 will have a more limited beginning of college than students of other years. She said she is worried about the possibility of being told she has to move off campus.

“Not having the privilege of being on campus every day can have an impact on the current freshmen’s ability to make new friends,” she said.

Despite the fact that the University has went mostly online, Aldridge said she still sees the benefits on-campus living offers. 

“It is still fun being on campus and being able to enjoy the beautiful sights of campus,” she said.

Like Aldridge, Sophia Koolman, freshman in biomedical sciences, also had some conflicting feelings about online classes.

“It is sad that I don’t get to learn the campus and meet people in person,” Koolman said.

Koolman said she would like to stay on campus even if Auburn goes completely online so she can still receive the on-campus experience for her first year of college.

“I am happy being on campus and having my roommates,” she said.

Even though the two students are not physically going to classes every day, they said they still appreciate everything Auburn has to offer. However, each both agreed their greatest concern is the unknown of the situation.

Share and discuss “Students say they have good Wi-Fi but poor connection” on social media.