Auburn secondary approaching full strength

Oct 3, 2020; Oxford, MS, USA; Roger McCreary (23) and Jamien Sherwood (20) get a tackle during the game between Auburn and Ole Miss at Vaught Hemingway Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

With a matchup against Terrace Marshall and an ever-improving LSU team looming, the Auburn secondary is looking to continue its strong play this season.

On the year, Auburn ranks second in the SEC in pass defense, giving up just 220.4 yards per game through the air.

Leading the group is Roger McCreary, who has two goal-line interceptions on the season, taking points away from Kentucky and Ole Miss.

Along with his interceptions, McCreary ­— who came to Auburn as a 3-star cornerback — has been making game-changing plays all over the field.

“I feel like, in my recruitment, I had to really be seen and make game-changing plays — make teams not throw the ball at me,” McCreary said. “So I feel like I’ve made some game-changing plays for the team to see I’m really doing something on my side.”

This season, McCreary has gone against some of the SEC’s best at wide receiver in Elijah Moore and George Pickens, but it doesn’t get any easier on Saturday against Marshall.

McCreary welcomes the challenge.

“I feel like Terrace Marshall — going against him Saturday is going to be a great matchup because he’s really a great player,” McCreary said. “From what I’ve seen last year, he’s really improved, and I feel like that’s going to be a great matchup this Saturday.”

Behind him is a group that’s continuing to get healthier.

Jaylin Simpson, who started the season as the No. 2 cornerback and earned SEC Freshman of the Week for his performance against Kentucky, has been battling an injury since then.

Now, though, Simpson appears to be close to full strength.

“Jaylin’s injury, he’s doing great coming off of it,” McCreary said on Tuesday. “He’s not hurt no more. It’s good that he’s back.”

A 4-star JUCO cornerback, Marco Domio was expected to use his extreme athleticism to play a big role in the Auburn secondary this year.

However, he got injured in fall camp and didn’t make a game appearance until Auburn played at South Carolina.

Domio, like Simpson, also seems to be getting close to full strength.

“Getting the — [Marco] Domio was back, played some snaps. And so that was good, too,” Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn said. “But I think our secondary, I think they’re growing. And they’re getting experience each week.”

Now that the group is approaching full strength, McCreary feels like they can elevate their game to the next level.

“I feel like we’ll have a great little backfield and everything with Smoke [Monday] and Chris Thompson and [Ladarius] Tennison,” McCreary said. “I feel like the secondary is finally coming together with no injuries and whatever, so I feel like we’re going to do great as long as we communicate and play with the right technique.”

Share and discuss “Auburn secondary approaching full strength” on social media.