Auburn student makes masks fashionable

With COVID-19 shaping the way the modern world handles a pandemic, face masks have become a new accessory added to the everyday look. Some students find it easier to follow the campus guidelines when creating their own fashionable masks. 

“I’ve been sewing since I was 16 and avidly enjoy the art of designing and creating clothing, so graduating to face masks wasn’t too difficult [of] a leap,” said Will Humphreys, junior in apparel design. “I was interested in making cloth face masks when I first saw them become popular but didn’t make my first one until my grandmother requested one from me.” 

Humphreys, who designs and sells face masks, has gotten many requests from people to make masks and often finds that the customer wants to be surprised when it comes to the design. He uses different materials like cut fabric and vintage wallpaper to keep each design unique. 

“I created my own pattern for my masks using a styrofoam head,” Humphreys said. “I first stitch together the chin pieces, and then I stitch the main mask pieces together inside out, wedging the chin piece in between the layers on the bottom.”  

Humphreys has slowed down the production of mask designs since his return to Auburn, but was at his all-time peak around June and July. In the average week, he produces one to two masks, and he generally only makes masks if requested. 

“I usually charge between $10-$15 per mask,” Humphreys said.

According to Humphreys, his masks are completely reusable and are able to be washed and worn again, making them cost-effective. 

“To me, masks are essentially an extension of your own personal style and are just an opportunity to communicate your aesthetic through public safety,” Humphreys said. “In terms of making masks fashionable, a unique pattern or color certainly helps, but I find that styling outfits around masks and actively integrating them into the everyday wardrobe makes them infinitely more wearable.” 

According to Humphreys, the design of a mask comes from the style of that certain individual, and for those interested in fashion, it makes the process of selecting a stylish mask much simpler.     

“Since it’s quite irresponsible to not wear a mask in public, you might as well have some fun with it,” Humphreys said. “Making masks fashionable isn’t difficult at all, so long as you’ve got the eye for it.” 

Humphreys said there are students who do not follow Auburn’s guidelines when it comes to wearing a mask, but for him, he takes the situation seriously and is very cautious especially when going into public places.

Because of this, Humphreys said he always wears a mask in public places and often finds himself choosing an outfit based on his mask’s design.  

With masks being incorporated into everyday looks, Humphreys said he finds masks as a new part of his wardrobe.  

“I find that styling outfits around masks and actively integrating them into the everyday wardrobe makes them infinitely more wearable,” Humphreys said.

Share and discuss “Auburn student makes masks fashionable” on social media.