Offense 'ended on a roll' and 'ready to get back on it'

Oct 3, 2020; Auburn AL, USA; Anthony Schwartz (1) gets a catch for a touchdown during the game between Auburn and LSU at Jordan Hare Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

When Auburn takes the field on Saturday against Tennessee it’ll be the Tigers’ first game since their 506 total yard, 48-point output against LSU, easily their most successful offensive and defensive game of the season.

“We ended on a roll, and we’re ready to get back on it,” said offensive guard Tashawn Manning.

The Halloween matchup saw Auburn start slowly, but quickly pick up scoring in the second and third quarters. The Tigers scored three touchdowns in under 12 minutes in the second quarter, including a 99-yard scoring drive capped off by a Ze’Vian Capers touchdown. By the end of the second quarter, Auburn had a 21-3 lead over LSU.

“We did play our best game against LSU, and we just need to keep building off that,” said Auburn head coach Gus Malahn. “What we’re telling our guys is that we need to play our best game again.”

Auburn added three rushing touchdowns in the third quarter against LSU, two by running back Tank Bigsby and one by quarterback Bo Nix. Auburn’s final score of the game was a 91-yard touchdown pass by Nix to receiver Anthony Schwartz. Auburn finished with over 200 rushing yards for the fourth consecutive time this season, a streakthey will look to continue against the Volunteers this weekend. 

“Since the beginning [of the season] the offensive line and [Nix] have been learning how to communicate with each other, and learn how to read each other and play better, and just being able to make these different moves that we can make,” Manning said.

The Auburn offense wasn’t the only phase of the game that saw improvement against LSU — the defense also forced three turnovers and allowed its fewest points in a game this year. Auburn’s defense had a scoop and score by Christian Tutt, and nearly had a pick-six before Nehemiah Pritchett stepped out at the LSU 4-yard line. The biggest play that Auburn allowed was a 43-yard touchdown pass while the team was already up by 45 points.

“We want to come out there and put fear into the opposing team’s offense,” said safety Jordyn Peters. “Once they start seeing turnovers happen frequently and our defense flying around to the ball, that causes a lot of frustrations for offenses.”

The Tigers will be facing off against a Tennessee team that ranks ninth in the SEC in points allowed per game, eighth in yards per game and 10th in rushing yards per game. If Auburn wants to keep up the success that they had against LSU, the 2-4 Volunteers may be a good matchup for the team to shake the rust off against after Auburn’s 21 day break between games. 

“We just try to improve in the basic fundamentals,” Malzahn said. “Really stress and stop the run, run the football, true Auburn football.”

Tennessee, now 2-4 on the year, started off 2-0 before losing its last four games, three of which have been by more than 23 points. The Volunteers have also given up at least 170 rushing yards in all four of their losses. While the Volunteers are slumping and Auburn is coming off a big win, the Tigers are making sure to take this week’s opponent seriously.

“This year you’re taking everybody seriously,” Malzahn said. “You can’t overlook anyone.”

Share and discuss “Offense 'ended on a roll' and 'ready to get back on it'” on social media.