Shots fired at Gay Street, Drake Avenue intersection

One individual said he was shot near the University Church of Christ.

A shooting occurred in downtown Auburn Friday night.

The shooting took place at about 5:58 p.m. at the intersection of Gay Street and Drake Avenue, near the University Church of Christ at 449 N. Gay St.

More than a dozen bullets went off in a short period of time, and one man was shot. He was lifted into a stretcher and loaded into an ambulance for medical care.

According to Auburn Police Division, officers were flagged down while responding to the incident, where a 19-year-old man suffered gunshot wounds. The man was transported to Piedmont Columbus Regional Hospital, where he is now in stable condition.

Multiple emergency vehicles arrived at the scene, including an ambulance to tend to the man who was shot, and traffic was stopped in the area. Investigators began interviewing witnesses shortly after.

APD determined that the shots fired were result of an altercation, though the injured man's involvement is unknown.

The scene was mostly cleared out at about 6:35 p.m. except for officers conducting interviews and directing traffic.

APD did not make any arrests but has begun an investigation. Police anticipate charges of discharging a firearm in city limits, reckless endangerment and first degree assault.

APD asks that those with information call the Auburn Police Division Detective Section at 334-501-3140 or the anonymous tip line at 334-246-1391.

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Charlie Ramo | Content Editor

Charlie Ramo, junior in aerospace engineering, is the content editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

@byCharlieRamo

Share and discuss “Shots fired at Gay Street, Drake Avenue intersection” on social media.