Gus Malzahn out as head coach after eight years at Auburn

<p>Starkville, Mississippi, USA; Coach Gus Malzahn reacts during the game between Auburn and Mississippi State at Davis Wade Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics</p>

Starkville, Mississippi, USA; Coach Gus Malzahn reacts during the game between Auburn and Mississippi State at Davis Wade Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

After eight years at Auburn, head coach Gus Malzahn will no longer serve as Auburn's head coach as he was relieved of his duties on Sunday, the program announced in a release. 

Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele will serve as the interim head coach.

“After evaluating the state of the Auburn football program, we’ve decided that it was time to make a change in leadership," Athletic Director Allen Greene said. "We appreciate everything that Gus did for the program over the last eight seasons. We will begin a search immediately for a coach that can help the Auburn program consistently compete at the highest level.”

During his time as head coach, Malzahn had a 68-35 record, going 39-27 in SEC play. In his first season at Auburn, he led Auburn to a National Championship appearance.

“Coach Malzahn led the Auburn football program with honor and integrity," Auburn University President Jay Gogue said. "We appreciate his service to Auburn Athletics, Auburn University and, in particular, our student-athletes. We wish him and Kristi all the best."

The Plainsman will continue to update this story.

Share and discuss “Gus Malzahn out as head coach after eight years at Auburn” on social media.